Deep in research stage before getting a Hermann! I'd love some advice

Sadowska

Location (City and/or State)
Croydon
Hi, I'm very much in the research stage of getting a tortoise. I'm struggling to find out some details for planning the outdoor enclosure, hope someone can advise please.
Must the outdoor enclosure be sited on the lawn (on bare soil rather than grass)? Or could it go on our patio? The patio is concrete covered with a thick bonded layer of granulated rubber. If I provide an enclosure on the patio with a thick layer of sterilised topsoil, and maybe a heaped area to allow more digging depth, would that be a suitable base? If the tortoise digs I doubt it will get far with the rubber (I hope!), and at the same time won't be injured by trying to dig the rubber. The tortoise would of course have time in the garden out of its enclosure where it can dig holes in the lawn if it likes!
I've also been pondering what to do when it rains and the soil substrate gets muddy....?
Other question is about whether I need an outdoor heat lamp, if the tortoise spends cold days/nights indoors. If so, it's a whole other proposition getting an electrician to wire up a socket outdoors! I've also struggled to actually find lamps that say they are rated to be outdoors. Any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

thanks so much
Karen