deck storage bin for leopard tort indoor enclosure

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
Hey guys. I'll be getting a baby leopard tort soon. I've been looking for large indoor storage bins. I finally found some really long and big ones. What do you guys think of using this? it is $175 CAD. I want to start out with a big enclosure so even as a baby it can have lots of enclosure space to run around.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubbermaid-18-2-cu-ft-storage-trunk-deck-box/1000760123

Of course I might remove the lid completely before using it, or maybe saw off 80% of it if it's possible.
The dimensions are 65 h x 28.5 depth x 23.6 h. I think the material should be fine/non-toxic. I just wish one side was see through so I could see the tort more easily without having to look from above it. When it grows up, I may cut a portion on the front side so the tort can enter and leave the enclosure as it wants so it could walk around my house in certain areas to get exercise.

One thing with having a lid like that is that I could configure it so that the lid is triggered to close automatically by an earthquake, but I'd have to figure out what would happen to the heat lamp etc so that the tort won't over heat.

If anyone has found a similar sized bin, please let me know! The deck bin i posted here is a bit expensive. I haven't thought much about making my own enclosure with wood, but i do like the plastic material as it doesn't decay as easily.

And yes, I have seen this
https://www.wayfair.ca/holiday-decor/pdp/iris-usa-inc-christmas-tree-storage-iri1937.html
But is it not as big as I'd like it to be.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why is it better? To keep humidity?
Larger floor space. Better, more stable, living conditions. Much easier to do maintenance. Easier to maintain correct temps and humidity. Nicer to look at.

leoturt

Western Canada
Larger floor space. Better, more stable, living conditions. Much easier to do maintenance. Easier to maintain correct temps and humidity. Nicer to look at.
I live in canada, and it looks like they dont ship here. Those enclosures look great, i'd try to get one if they shipped here.

leoturt

Western Canada
What do you think of using one of those for a adult leopard, allowing it go exit and leave it as it wants to be bale to walk around the house in certain areas between like 12pm-8pm during the winter? Or should I just get a much larger enclosure when its an adult?

Marizna

Can you look into grow tents on amazon? I use them for my leopards and they have been working perfectly for me. They keep temp and humidity well. I know of a few other members who are using them as well. You can get a really large one on amazon for similar prices to that storage container you posted. I’ll admit the grow tents aren’t beautiful to look at and you can’t really see into them without unzipping them, but that’s not something I care about. I live in a really good climate so once mine are big enough to live outside in the summer, I can choose to use my grow tents as winter enclosures or I can use them for my plants.

It’s also not recommended to let your tortoise free roam your house. It’s too cold and they could eat things off of the floor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you think of using one of those for a adult leopard, allowing it go exit and leave it as it wants to be bale to walk around the house in certain areas between like 12pm-8pm during the winter? Or should I just get a much larger enclosure when its an adult?
Free-roaming is a recipe for disaster. It cannot be made safe, and you cannot supervise closely enough to prevent one or more of the many disasters that will befall your tortoise.

Look into other manufactures that make closed chambers in Canada, or look for the thread by @Sterant on how to make your own. I've tried all sorts of different ways of housing them. Nothing even comes close to the closed chambers.

leoturt

Western Canada
oops why did I say winter? My bad.
@Marizna I looked at the grow tents, they don't exactly look attractive to me, but which one did you use? Do you have a link to it?

leoturt

Western Canada
Free-roaming is a recipe for disaster. It cannot be made safe, and you cannot supervise closely enough to prevent one or more of the many disasters that will befall your tortoise.

Look into other manufactures that make closed chambers in Canada, or look for the thread by @Sterant on how to make your own. I've tried all sorts of different ways of housing them. Nothing even comes close to the closed chambers.
I have found some canadian pvc chambers. They do look like a good bet. My question is how does the top side normally look like in them? is it a full covered ceiling? Would I have to drill some holes to get the wiring through for the lighting/heat bulbs? I kinda hoped they would be like glass or something at the top, but it's not a big deal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found some canadian pvc chambers. They do look like a good bet. My question is how does the top side normally look like in them? is it a full covered ceiling? Would I have to drill some holes to get the wiring through for the lighting/heat bulbs? I kinda hoped they would be like glass or something at the top, but it's not a big deal.
It should have a solid top. You can easily drill holes in the top or back for wiring. The material is pretty soft.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys. I'll be getting a baby leopard tort soon. I've been looking for large indoor storage bins. I finally found some really long and big ones. What do you guys think of using this? it is $175 CAD. I want to start out with a big enclosure so even as a baby it can have lots of enclosure space to run around.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rubbermaid-18-2-cu-ft-storage-trunk-deck-box/1000760123

Of course I might remove the lid completely before using it, or maybe saw off 80% of it if it's possible.
The dimensions are 65 h x 28.5 depth x 23.6 h. I think the material should be fine/non-toxic. I just wish one side was see through so I could see the tort more easily without having to look from above it. When it grows up, I may cut a portion on the front side so the tort can enter and leave the enclosure as it wants so it could walk around my house in certain areas to get exercise.

One thing with having a lid like that is that I could configure it so that the lid is triggered to close automatically by an earthquake, but I'd have to figure out what would happen to the heat lamp etc so that the tort won't over heat.

If anyone has found a similar sized bin, please let me know! The deck bin i posted here is a bit expensive. I haven't thought much about making my own enclosure with wood, but i do like the plastic material as it doesn't decay as easily.

And yes, I have seen this
https://www.wayfair.ca/holiday-decor/pdp/iris-usa-inc-christmas-tree-storage-iri1937.html
But is it not as big as I'd like it to be.[/QUOTE

We have the exact same box but use it as a deck box. All I can offer is that this is a very sturdy, quality box. I weigh over 200lbs and I regularly sit on it. No problem. I know that doesn’t really help with your situation but just wanted you to know it’s a good box.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

leoturt

Western Canada
It should have a solid top. You can easily drill holes in the top or back for wiring. The material is pretty soft.
Okay that's good. What customizations/addons would you recommend to order with a pvc chamber? Like any lighting or multi plug extension attached attached to the ceiling inside?

Here are the options from the company I'm going to order from. (haven't decided which size I'm getting yet). There are different lighting options that I'm not sure about. I know I can always just add my own light to simulate daylight after I receive the chamber, but it probably wouldn't look as clean.
https://shop.cornelsworld.com/product/pvc-cage-48x24x24/

Also, would you recommend sliding doors or hinged doors? I can imagine sliding doors having a bit of a gap between them which would let out some moisture and heat.

I've seen your pictures but it's a bit hard to see everything that came along with your chambers so I thought I'd as instead.

Last edited:

leoturt

Western Canada
You also need to check out Toms' nightbox which is a must for the bigger torts like your leopard. Can never start too soon! the original nightbox by Tom https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-youll-need-to-build-a-night-box.171435/#post-1684610
And a slight update with gas shocks for the lid
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-night-box-pics.175870/#post-1746144
Is maintaining the same level of humidity and ambient temp just as imp for adults? With a night box would that be more of a challenge? With those open doors like that