Debut of Shelly and New Guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello everyone! My name is Josh and I recently set up an account on tortoise forum. I'm starting up a viv for poison dart frogs and have been spending a lot of time on their forums and then I asked myself, why don't I have an account on a tortoise forum since I own 2 sulcatas. Well here I am! Shelly and New Guy have been in my family for some time now. I got Shelly 9 years ago and she was the size of a golfball and about 3 years ago I aquired her BFF, New Guy. I've followed some basic care sheets and they seem to be doing great but I figured I should get involved in a community to help further my knowledge and dig deeper into the hobby. I have not always been the best owner of them and I'll be the first to admit that. I have actually lost Shelly twice and have been very fortuante to recover her. The first time was about 6 years ago when she was grazing outside and I got distracted helping my roomate on his truck, luckily after a few hours of searching around the neighborhood we were running out of light and my roomy spotted her under a tree. The 2nd time is a little more of a unique story. When I was in the Air Force and stationed in Little Rock and living on base, the fence company had been extremely slow about installing a fence in my back yard and one evening Shelly and New Guy were grazing in the yard and after a couple of beers I went inside and fell asleep. When I woke up the next day I opened the back door to let my dog out and there was New Guy just staring up at me and I thought...I didn't let you out yet today...OH NO!!...So I gathered up all of the neighbor kids around and stocked them up with freezy pops to go run around and help me find Shelly. We could not find her anywhere and this was the day before work was sending me to Las Vegas for 2 weeks. I was so bummed out, I thought I had lost her forever. On the 2nd to last day of my trip to Vegas my phone started blowing up from my friends with pictures of her in the base paper! Someone found her and reported it and they took pictures of her and wrote a big article and then donated her to the Little Rock Zoo! I couldn't believe it!! Luckily my supervisor had been seeing a girl who worked in the birds of prey exhibit there and after a few phone calls I was lucky enough to go there and recover her! Shelly and New Guy loved the Arkansas weather and got to live outside almost year round. Now I am out of the military and moved back home to Minnesota where I'm enrolled in the U of M's Animal Science program and hopefully transferring to pre-vet next year. Anyways, I just thought I'd introduce myself and give you a story to laugh at. I threw some pictures of them up on my profile if you're interested in seeing them. I look forward to getting involved in this community and sharing advice/stories. Cheers!

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Hello everyone! My name is Josh and I recently set up an account on tortoise forum. I'm starting up a viv for poison dart frogs and have been spending a lot of time on their forums and then I asked myself, why don't I have an account on a tortoise forum since I own 2 sulcatas. Well here I am! Shelly and New Guy have been in my family for some time now. I got Shelly 9 years ago and she was the size of a golfball and about 3 years ago I aquired her BFF, New Guy. I've followed some basic care sheets and they seem to be doing great but I figured I should get involved in a community to help further my knowledge and dig deeper into the hobby. I have not always been the best owner of them and I'll be the first to admit that. I have actually lost Shelly twice and have been very fortuante to recover her. The first time was about 6 years ago when she was grazing outside and I got distracted helping my roomate on his truck, luckily after a few hours of searching around the neighborhood we were running out of light and my roomy spotted her under a tree. The 2nd time is a little more of a unique story. When I was in the Air Force and stationed in Little Rock and living on base, the fence company had been extremely slow about installing a fence in my back yard and one evening Shelly and New Guy were grazing in the yard and after a couple of beers I went inside and fell asleep. When I woke up the next day I opened the back door to let my dog out and there was New Guy just staring up at me and I thought...I didn't let you out yet today...OH NO!!...So I gathered up all of the neighbor kids around and stocked them up with freezy pops to go run around and help me find Shelly. We could not find her anywhere and this was the day before work was sending me to Las Vegas for 2 weeks. I was so bummed out, I thought I had lost her forever. On the 2nd to last day of my trip to Vegas my phone started blowing up from my friends with pictures of her in the base paper! Someone found her and reported it and they took pictures of her and wrote a big article and then donated her to the Little Rock Zoo! I couldn't believe it!! Luckily my supervisor had been seeing a girl who worked in the birds of prey exhibit there and after a few phone calls I was lucky enough to go there and recover her! Shelly and New Guy loved the Arkansas weather and got to live outside almost year round. Now I am out of the military and moved back home to Minnesota where I'm enrolled in the U of M's Animal Science program and hopefully transferring to pre-vet next year. Anyways, I just thought I'd introduce myself and give you a story to laugh at. I threw some pictures of them up on my profile if you're interested in seeing them. I look forward to getting involved in this community and sharing advice/stories. Cheers!547376_376791812379176_520192535_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Great looking torts and good looking young man...very funny to see the young man crouching tiger with the torts enjoying the same goodies....fantastic pic :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Josh:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Your tortoises look great!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Welcome! Love your stories. Your tortoise look great. Love your profile pic!

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thanks for the warm welcome! Ascott, yes the boy in the picture is my stepson Raini who is completely in love with the torts, hehe now that was an easy way to suck up to the kids when I met their mom ;) FrogHaven, I love that picture too, the look on New Guys' face of pure bliss says it all! My wife takes really good pictures and I keep trying to get her to switch over to photography and I hope she does one day because I can tell she enjoys it and is good at it.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Love your Sulcatas. They are beautiful. Looks like them and your stepson know how to enjoy a summer day. :D

Welcome, and have fun!

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
They're easy to lose, aren't they? I was pulling weeds one day, looking over to verify where Neenyo was, pulling more weeds, then suddenly I realized Neenyo wasn't where I had last spotted him. Long story short, he had gotten under the fence and crossed a busy intersection near my house. He was heading toward the tall weeds near the lake. 10 more minutes and I'm sure we would never have seen him again!

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Shelly and New Guy checkin in. We are enjoying the Minnesota summer while it's here!

Attachments

• photo (26).JPG
    photo (26).JPG
    156 KB · Views: 7
  • 564139_402382629820094_1295517415_n.jpg
    564139_402382629820094_1295517415_n.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.