Debunking a myth!

Ketta

Location (City and/or State)
Venezuela
So I want to know if it's true that when a tortoise bites you got to burn its tail? That's what it is said here in my country...

Ketta

Venezuela
So that the tortoise let you go... they say they can rip a finger apart so then I wonder how is that possible if they got no teeth o_O@Tom @Markw84

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming that's because they have such a strong jaw and the only way to make them let go is to burn their tail. At any rate, that's not something we would do now-a-days. It's an old wives tale.

My sister had to go to the emergency hospital for a couple stitches in her finger after her big sulcata, Bob, clamped down on her finger and wouldn't let go. She said it was VERY painful. I don't remember how she got his mouth open but I'm sure she didn't burn his tail.

Ketta

Venezuela
I'm assuming that's because they have such a strong jaw and the only way to make them let go is to burn their tail. At any rate, that's not something we would do now-a-days. It's an old wives tale.

My sister had to go to the emergency hospital for a couple stitches in her finger after her big sulcata, Bob, clamped down on her finger and wouldn't let go. She said it was VERY painful. I don't remember how she got his mouth open but I'm sure she didn't burn his tail.
Yup that's what they say but I believe there are other methods now a day. I would love to know what is that other new method.?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure about where you live but in this country that would be considered animal abuse.
If you dont hand feed your tortoise you shouldn't get bit. They are not fast runners so they cant chase you down too bite either.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hold the biting animal's head under running water and they will generally release their grip.
More difficult with a large tortoise unless a hose and spigot are within reach.

Ketta

Venezuela
Not sure about where you live but in this country that would be considered animal abuse.
If you dont hand feed your tortoise you shouldn't get bit. They are not fast runners so they cant chase you down too bite either.
I lives in Venezuela! I consider it cruel too! But people from the country side are ignorant...saddly.. they even get to the point of eating them that's horrible. I get to the point I don't like living here but for now I have no choice.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Besides even if you were to burn the tail there is no guarantee(?) they (tortoise) would let go. Best to avoid getting bit in the first place :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
One time a million years ago I was frogging with a friend around a local pond, and reached in to grab a particularly promising frog...

the "frog" I'd seen turned out to be a snapping turtle that had buried itself in the mud, everything except the front of its head.

When I reached into the water to pull the beast out of the water it latched onto my thumb and was hanging by the meat for a few seconds before it bit through and fell back into the water. I screamed and bled everywhere and the person we were staying with put horse liniment on it, and my fingerprint grew oddly for a decade.

Long story short, I wish I'd had a trick to get that turtle to release his grip without losing that hunk of thumb.

Jamie

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
One time a million years ago I was frogging with a friend around a local pond, and reached in to grab a particularly promising frog...

the "frog" I'd seen turned out to be a snapping turtle that had buried itself in the mud, everything except the front of its head.

When I reached into the water to pull the beast out of the water it latched onto my thumb and was hanging by the meat for a few seconds before it bit through and fell back into the water. I screamed and bled everywhere and the person we were staying with put horse liniment on it, and my fingerprint grew oddly for a decade.

Long story short, I wish I'd had a trick to get that turtle to release his grip without losing that hunk of thumb.

Jamie
Frogging? censorship? :)