Debates change your opinion about others?

Do people's responses change your opinion about them?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Do peoples responses to things change your opinions of them?

Not for me

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I would say that people's responses shape my impressions of them. I don't know anyone on here personally, so members' posts are little windows into their personality and character. I will say that sometimes I am surprised by certain poster's views, when those conflict with previous impressions, and sometimes I am surprised by the depth of feeling people have about particular subjects.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I respect peoples opinions, I guess mine do change about them personally if the person seems is being rude or inconsiderate in their responses... But I find that most people on here are not that way, so in general, even if I don't see eye to eye I respect someone as much as long as they are civil and don't hold those differences between us as an alienator

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
What we see written is all we have to go on. I know I am often influenced, rightly or wrongly, buy words used alone.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
I would like to think that none of us would be influenced by someone's opinion or comment.
I am also not that naive.
I think we all are to some degree.
It is very difficult to know exactly how a simple statement was meant to be interpreted.
Was something sarcastic or hart felt?
Heck! If it wasn't for spell check none of you would have any idea what I was saying!
Not that I always make sense any way!
What a wonderful world we would live in, If everyone surrounded themselves with the things that they loved & lived life the best they knew how! (& never tried to force there views on anyone else!)
But we are human & thus imperfect.
The 1 rite that I think gets lost the most is, The rite of others not to agree with you.
Example; Hate if you hate a person or race ... That is your rite! BUT, remember that they have the rite to feel the same way about YOU!
If you hate a thing, Others have the rite to think your wrong & like that thing ANYWAY!

Ok too deep, Me OUT of the POOL!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It doesnt change my opinion of people as i can only do that if i get to know that person in person,I do get irritated my some peoples responses that just post things all for the wrong reasons or bad information,i myself got it wrong once and meg put me right but i dont mind that because she knows her stuff and she can help me help others...I just love you all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But its the way that person handles him/herself in the debate that changes my opinion of them. Their stance on the subject doesn't make any difference to me.

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Very well said Yvonne!

emysemys said:
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. But its the way that person handles him/herself in the debate that changes my opinion of them. Their stance on the subject doesn't make any difference to me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I need more options, I change my mind all the time

wait No I don't

Wait yes I do

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
emysemys said:

I agree totally with Yvonne. Also, there's no need for sarcasm on a debate. But people are so strong with their opinions, that some get sarcastic and downright mean. But after all is said and done....I remember when I got scammed, and everyone on here came to my defense. I will never forget the outpouring of kindness from everyone here. It was so amazing. I think everyone showed their true colors at that time.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I remember in high school when being taught HOW to debate, we had to present both sides of the topic--supported by FACTS. If everyone did that there wouldn't be so much of a need to debate--- more of a "agree to disagree" but maybe stay open-minded enough to "see" something we missed in our own formulation of an opinion.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
A person's personality and thus opinions are what makes them unique, so my answer is yes. Not to say though that I can't be friends with a person I disagree with, or will hold a grudge, etc.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
tortoisenerd said:
A person's personality and thus opinions are what makes them unique, so my answer is yes. Not to say though that I can't be friends with a person I disagree with, or will hold a grudge, etc.

Good point

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Annieski said:
I remember in high school when being taught HOW to debate, we had to present both sides of the topic--supported by FACTS. If everyone did that there wouldn't be so much of a need to debate--- more of a "agree to disagree" but maybe stay open-minded enough to "see" something we missed in our own formulation of an opinion.

I do agree in the fact that some people have forgotten how to debate [myself being one] since being in school. I bring facts into my debates, but then I forget to control my emotion and end up being sarcastic, or forget facts completely and rely completely on emotion, or get very, very angry. But then again, this is how most situations/arguments end up now a days, right? However debate doesn't change my view on a person, it simply gives that person more depth to me. Debate shows true character.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm still angry, the meds are no longer helping.

moswen

5 Year Member
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Do peoples responses to things change your opinions of them?

so far i haven't changed my "opinion" of anyone... i think debates help you see better who a person is... but honestly, it's hard to form an opinion of someone who you only "talk to" via reading and responding to topics of discussion or questions on a computer. how much of an opinion can you really form of someone from that haha!

well, besides your opinion that this person sounds knowledgeable, or this person really loves his/her torts... you know, that kind of thing...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.