Deadly water dish

TammyJ

Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I got one of the bowls before finding this forum. I put some flat tiles (I already had them at home) in mine that come up nearly to the sides. Basically it makes it extremely shallow. I like the look of the terra cotta better though too. But figured may as well go with what I've got at the moment.

View attachment 311328
What happened to my pool water?

maggie3fan

Corvallis Oregon
I think you might have over done it with the stones here. You still want to provide water and space. Can’t quite tell, but is your dish sunken down into the substrate? Thats always a plus. Much easier for torts to walk over and sink their head (and hard-shelled bodies) down into a dish.

Maybe it’s just the clarity of your water & the overhead aspect.
good luck.
OK, I'm gonna stick my neck out here...I applaud your use of the flat stones, and I certainly understand why you did that...but the tortoise needs to be able to soak and put it's head under the water and I don't see how that is possible the way you have it, and a close look at it's carapace shows an extremely dry looking carapace, with the beginnings of pyramids. The water should be a little above the 'bridge' where the plastron and carapace meet. I don't mean any disrespect and you can tell me to go fly a kite but I'm just saying what I see...if I am wrong some expert will point that out...🤓

Gilbert, AZ
The water should be a little above the 'bridge' where the plastron and carapace meet. I don't mean any disrespect and you can tell me to go fly a kite but I'm just saying what I see...if I am wrong some expert will point that out...🤓
You're totally right! So the stone in there is pretty "holey" so he can grip it pretty well. It is hard to see from the photo, but it does have some depth still.

His shell is getting dry. We are in the process of building a closed enclosure for him, but it's taking longer than expected 😬 We are giving him daily soaks and constantly spraying water in the current setup and keeping the substrate damp. I'm hoping his new home will be finished next week 🤞

And I definitely appreciate the feedback! I love that everyone here is so willing to help!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I think the water level is more important than the dish. You gotta base the water level on the size of the tortoise to reduce chances of flipping and drowning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the water level is more important than the dish. You gotta base the water level on the size of the tortoise to reduce chances of flipping and drowning.
The depth of the water has nothing to do with tortoises flipping in these bowls with tall vertical sides.