Dead

tkoehle

5 Year Member
Hey so my tort hasn't been eating well but he seemed to be drink well until about a day ago. Today I figured I would give him am extra long soaking. So I did periodically checking on him but he had stopped moving. And I went to look and he is no long with us [CRYING FACE] I kept the temps at 99 hot 85 all around and soaked every other day. His humidity is hog 80s and he had a cuttle bone and uv light. Also a water bowl. Does anyone know what went wrong.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i am so sorry!!! ):

as for what went wrong, hatchlings are very hard to care for sometimes. it seems like you were doing everything alright....maybe a little too hot but nothing fatal. it may not have been anything you did but possibly whoever you got it from. either way, i an truly sorry )':

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How was he started before you got him? Wet or dry?

tkoehle

5 Year Member
Thanks for the support. And yes it is very hard between keeping humidity up and temps right. But I just kept think of that time when it would be big roaming the yard.

Tom said:
How was he started before you got him? Wet or dry?

Dry sadly because that what the breeder used and I just follow his instructions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry to hear that. Live and learn my friend. You are not alone. Sadly this has happened before.

If you want to try again, I'm happy to offer you my opinions on where to buy and how to set up a baby for success.

dar64

5 Year Member
tkoehle said:
Hey so my tort hasn't been eating well but he seemed to be drink well until about a day ago. Today I figured I would give him am extra long soaking. So I did periodically checking on him but he had stopped moving. And I went to look and he is no long with us [CRYING FACE] I kept the temps at 99 hot 85 all around and soaked every other day. His humidity is hog 80s and he had a cuttle bone and uv light. Also a water bowl. Does anyone know what went wrong.

I'm so sorry . So this is a hatchling ? How long did you have him. I had this happen to one of mine. I did everything right. They can be so difficult at times.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How old was your tortoise? How long did you have him? I really feel bad for you because you don't really have answers as to what happened. You may never know what killed him without a necropsy. :-(

tkoehle

5 Year Member
sibi said:
How old was your tortoise? How long did you have him? I really feel bad for you because you don't really have answers as to what happened. You may never know what killed him without a necropsy. :-(

He was I want to say two months old. And thanks for the support.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
So sorry for your loss.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh man. I am so sorry. This news sucks, big time. This hatchling failure from dried up newborns is heart breaking for all of us! I am so sorry you had to experience this. Very sad. : (

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm very sorry to know that. I have one of GPB are doing not so well too. May I ask how deep the water was when you soak him? How often did you give him a soak? and for how long?

I don't soak him very often and wondering if I should?

tkoehle

5 Year Member
I soaked in no more than half an inch of water for 15 to 20 minutes

lkwagner

5 Year Member
bouaboua said:
I'm very sorry to know that. I have one of GPB are doing not so well too. May I ask how deep the water was when you soak him? How often did you give him a soak? and for how long?

If yours isn't doing well I would soak 1-2 times a day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. And occasionally with baby food

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
lkwagner said:
bouaboua said:
If yours isn't doing well I would soak 1-2 times a day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. And occasionally with baby food

Soaks are awesome. In this case, the baby (RIP little leopard) may have, sadly sad sad, been too dry in that crucial early time right after they hatch. They seem to not recover from that early non-care. They must be supported with the humidity they need that we believe they get in the wild right off the bat.

The baby food, use carrots or squash. Half a jar in the morning, the other half in the evening. I like 30 minutes BUT be sure the water stays warm. Under the basking light helps. I use an eye shadow makeup brush to put water on their shell as they sit also. I bought it just for this. To use it on their shell. Keeping it wet often. You can spray, but I like using a brush. I know, I know ... a little nutty, but I like keeping their shells from drying out this way. Plus I think they like it too cause they stick their necks out for their little brush petting session.

tkoehle

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
lkwagner said:
bouaboua said:

Soaks are awesome. In this case, the baby (RIP little leopard) may have, sadly sad sad, been too dry in that crucial early time right after they hatch. They seem to not recover from that early non-care. They must be supported with the humidity they need that we believe they get in the wild right off the bat.

The baby food, use carrots or squash. Half a jar in the morning, the other half in the evening. I like 30 minutes BUT be sure the water stays warm. Under the basking light helps. I use an eye shadow makeup brush to put water on their shell as they sit also. I bought it just for this. To use it on their shell. Keeping it wet often. You can spray, but I like using a brush. I know, I know ... a little nutty, but I like keeping their shells from drying out this way. Plus I think they like it too cause they stick their necks out for their little brush petting session.

Thanks for the support and yeah that is a mistake I will never make again for any tortoise.