Darker patches on Russian tortoise?

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi there,
I've had my Russian tortoise for a year and a half and from about 2 months ago i noticed the color of his shell changing. He's developed these darker patches and they are a little soft (not squidgy but like..a plastic lid). He's eating fine and i have moved him into a viv so that in can place an Arcadia 12% UVB time in there and monitor the humidity (my last post had all the details on his enclosure) i got it last week but i think when he was in his tortoise table his basking bulb ran out of uvb as i didn't realise i had to change it every 6 months..sorry, I'm still new to this...
I was wondering is this normal.. Or is he developing MBD. He doesn't drag his shell and likes to climb on his hide. He excretes like normal aswell... I'm just worried because even his plastron is a little pliable but hes around 2-4 years old. I adopted him from a friend so i don't know specifically.
His eyes and noise are all clear and his limbs are strong.
Please help x20210526_095748.jpg20210526_095658.jpg20210526_095622.jpg

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hi there,
I've had my Russian tortoise for a year and a half and from about 2 months ago i noticed the color of his shell changing. He's developed these darker patches and they are a little soft (not squidgy but like..a plastic lid). He's eating fine and i have moved him into a viv so that in can place an Arcadia 12% UVB time in there and monitor the humidity (my last post had all the details on his enclosure) i got it last week but i think when he was in his tortoise table his basking bulb ran out of uvb as i didn't realise i had to change it every 6 months..sorry, I'm still new to this...
I was wondering is this normal.. Or is he developing MBD. He doesn't drag his shell and likes to climb on his hide. He excretes like normal aswell... I'm just worried because even his plastron is a little pliable but hes around 2-4 years old. I adopted him from a friend so i don't know specifically.
His eyes and noise are all clear and his limbs are strong.
Please help xView attachment 325889View attachment 325890View attachment 325891
Shell looks normal to me. The color can change over the years with growth.

London
Oh really...i was just worried because those patches were a little soft. Since i have been giving him new UVB i will keep monitoring him. I have increased the humidity also as before i had him and even when he was in my care for the 1st year and a half he was kept in dry conditions..so his shell is a little bumpy.
Shell looks normal to me. The color can change over the years with growth.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Oh really...i was just worried because those patches were a little soft. Since i have been giving him new UVB i will keep monitoring him. I have increased the humidity also as before i had him and even when he was in my care for the 1st year and a half he was kept in dry conditions..so his shell is a little bumpy.
If he is eating and moving around fine, I wouldn't worry too much. You can also sprinkle some calcium powder with D3 on his food 1-2 times a week.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Are the gaps between the scutes too deep though..i thought his shell was supposed to be smooth..
They are probably due to the initial dry environment he was raised in. Also it's common for Russians to have a little bit of bumpiness in their shells compared to other species.
Now that you've raised the humidity, the new growths will be smoother.

London
If he is eating and moving around fine, I wouldn't worry too much. You can also sprinkle some calcium powder with D3 on his food 1-2 times a week.
Yeah, i do sprinkle calcium powder on his food (always have) i recently bought cuttle fish bone but he's not that interested.
He is super active and loves his food.
Thanks for the help

London
I've looked around on the forum and have seen other Russians with these darker patches. This is my first tortoise so I'm not familiar with the way that they grow. Is he supposed to be like this..and is new shell growth soft?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What your seeing is new growth and the faint dark patches are new pigment that will get darker. As long as heat, light, diet, substrate, diet and hydration are all good then keep doing what your doing. Your aiming for smooth shell growth.

London
What your seeing is new growth and the faint dark patches are new pigment that will get darker. As long as heat, light, diet, substrate, diet and hydration are all good then keep doing what your doing. Your aiming for smooth shell growth.
Oh my goodness.. Thank you so much for clarifying this. I thought he was developing a problem like MBD since these patches are pliable. I full on cried yesterday thinking he was suffering and that i was being a bad owner and i was looking for so many vets..(I've seen some images of tortoises with MBD that have those dark patches so of course i worried a Lot and i want really clear on how soft was too soft). So thank you so much..i can finally sleep easy.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They should not be that soft. I use coconut oil on the shell weekly after a soak. Try a weekly weigh of your tortoise and keep a log you can then track growth or lack of and spot any issues.

London
They should not be that soft. I use coconut oil on the shell weekly after a soak. Try a weekly weigh of your tortoise and keep a log you can then track growth or lack of and spot any issues.
Its not soft like a sponge..but more like a Tupperware lid. And i will keep weighing him. I moved him into a new enclosure last week along with a fresh light and heat system so they should harden up soon... Hopefully..thank you x

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Oh my goodness.. Thank you so much for clarifying this. I thought he was developing a problem like MBD since these patches are pliable. I full on cried yesterday thinking he was suffering and that i was being a bad owner and i was looking for so many vets..(I've seen some images of tortoises with MBD that have those dark patches so of course i worried a Lot and i want really clear on how soft was too soft). So thank you so much..i can finally sleep easy.
Its not soft like a sponge..but more like a Tupperware lid. And i will keep weighing him. I moved him into a new enclosure last week along with a fresh light and heat system so they should harden up soon... Hopefully..thank you x
I know that feeling.. but don't cry!
With MBD tortoises usually drag their legs too. You said yours was moving around fine. And you also got the Arcadia 12% which is a good UVB bulb. Any possible problem in the past can be corrected going forward, if there was any problem that is.
Tupperware lid feeling is normal too. I do the coconut oil and weighing every week as well. Lets me know if he's growing or not.

London
I know that feeling.. but don't cry!
With MBD tortoises usually drag their legs too. You said yours was moving around fine. And you also got the Arcadia 12% which is a good UVB bulb. Any possible problem in the past can be corrected going forward, if there was any problem that is.
Tupperware lid feeling is normal too. I do the coconut oil and weighing every week as well. Lets me know if he's growing or not.
I will do.. Thank you guys so much for your help. You've been amazing. I never thought about getting a tortoise (since I've only had hamsters) but ever since i adopted him i just want what's best for him.. i didn't want him to go to someone who would neglect him. I should've joined this forum a long time ago?
Last week was so stressful because i thought that i just went entirely wrong with his new enclosure due to conflicting information and my own negligence (lots of sleepless nights).. But he seem so much happier and active. I was just worried about his shell. I will be keeping a close eye on him though. When we get to move, I'll get him a nice and spacious enclosure.. But for now he seems better here.
Thank you all xx

London
Hey everyone
I'm going to start weighing him weekly and updating
As of today he weighs 97g...i dont know if that is underweight for a tortoise of his age. He's anywhere between 2-4..although my guess is 3 years old. I know its hard to say what and ideal weight is since they grow at different rates.
You can see that patches better without the light.
20210527_072545.jpg20210527_072529.jpg20210527_072522.jpg

London
Hey everyone
I'm going to start weighing him weekly and updating
As of today he weighs 97g...i dont know if that is underweight for a tortoise of his age. He's anywhere between 2-4..although my guess is 3 years old. I know its hard to say what and ideal weight is since they grow at different rates.
You can see that patches better without the light.
I also ordered some orchid bark today so it should come soon and the humidity will be even higher. Hope he'll be a happy healthy tort ? xx

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good to disk as it gets bigger purchase 2 dedicated washing up bowls and use that it keep him in and stretches their legs. Shallow warm water. Example attached

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_211621_0.jpg
    IMG_20210527_211621_0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5