Dark color around mouth?

Meela21

This is Pancake..is the coloring normal around her mouth? It was like that when I got her, and it hasn't gone away.(2 months). The lady told me that she has been outside eating grass all day and that's why her mouth was dark like that. But couldn't that be a sign of mouth rot? :/20160430_151014-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's just discoloration from the food he's been eating.

Meela21

Ok, thank you!! I was hoping that was it, but it's always there. Then the thought of mouth rot came to mind and I just had to ask to be sure.

Thank you Yelloweyed and Yvonne G

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please give your tort soaks in warm water at least once every 24hours: his shell has pyramided due to dry climate/lack of humidity.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My new hatching is very dark, looks like she has a tan on her entire head and legs.

ToddFather

Connecticut
I was about to post a new thread and found this one. Mishelly has a messy mouth as well. 72F997D8-7F59-4B8A-A6AB-8CD3F09B43CA.jpeg

CheriL

Jessieville, AR
Same concern here. Noticed Tilly’s mouth is a lot darker in the past several weeks. She’s approximately 2 1/2 months old and I have had her for 2 months.
IMG_1027.jpeg

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Same concern here. Noticed Tilly’s mouth is a lot darker in the past several weeks. She’s approximately 2 1/2 months old and I have had her for 2 months.
View attachment 360535
My Sulcata, Leo, gets a very black mouth when he’s spending more time in his indoor enclosure (overnight during the cooler months). I use coco coir as a substrate, and I think he may eat it, though I’ve never witnessed him doing this. It goes away during summer, when he’s outside 24/7.

CheriL

Jessieville, AR
Same concern here. Noticed Tilly’s mouth is a lot darker in the past several weeks. She’s approximately 2 1/2 months old and I have her for 2 months.
View attachment 360535
My Sulcata, Leo, gets a very black mouth when he’s spending more time in his indoor enclosure (overnight during the cooler months). I use coco coir as a substrate, and I think he may eat it, though I’ve never witnessed him doing this. It goes away during summer, when he’s outside 24/7.
Tilly is also on Coco Coir. That’s probably it, thanks 😊