Dandelion seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
How long does it take for dandelion seeds to dry out, and I have them in a bowl in the window does that matter?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know. If you don't get someone that knows. Call a nursery and see if they know. You might also be able to get the answer from Carolina pet supply seeing they sell them. Good luck:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DanaLachney said:
How long does it take for dandelion seeds to dry out, and I have them in a bowl in the window does that matter?

From what I hear ASCOTT is a WIZ at growing dandelions:D:D:D:D:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DanaLachney said:
bigred said:
From what I hear ASCOTT is a WIZ at growing dandelions:D:D:D:D:D

Hmmm wonder why ASCOTT hasn't chimed in then :D

Im just messing with her, she was saying in another post that she was having trouble growing them. So what kind of torts are you getting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they need to dry out? By the time they are ready to blow off the stalk, aren't they good to go?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
bigred said:
Im just messing with her, she was saying in another post that she was having trouble growing them. So what kind of torts are you getting?

Dalmatian Hermann's and a Sulcata :D

Tom said:
Do they need to dry out? By the time they are ready to blow off the stalk, aren't they good to go?

Hmmm idk I read in another post that the actual seed was supposed to fall off the fluffy part.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DanaLachney said:
bigred said:

Dalmatian Hermann's and a Sulcata :D

Tom said:

Hmmm idk I read in another post that the actual seed was supposed to fall off the fluffy part.

Sounds good you all set up for them. I dont have any experience with Hermanns but ive heard they are a pretty kool tort

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
I'm waiting till we move into our new house to start gathering all the stuff for them otherwise it'll just be sitting around the house for a few weeks as they aren't ready to be shipped anyway :) one due to cold weather and the othe due to the fact it just hatched :D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DanaLachney said:
I'm waiting till we move into our new house to start gathering all the stuff for them otherwise it'll just be sitting around the house for a few weeks as they aren't ready to be shipped anyway :) one due to cold weather and the othe due to the fact it just hatched :D

Waiting is the tuff part

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
From what I hear ASCOTT is a WIZ at growing dandelions

LMAOffff.....yes, I am the master at planting dandelion seeds...this is true, the problem I always run into is--- not a damn one of them want to grow for me.....lol. I imagine I have planted a million of the little buggers and I believe I have like 5 mini teeny tiny microscopic dandelion rosettes....

So here are a couple of links that are good...the second one is a fav of mine due to he offers great information....have fun and hey uh, do me a solid and don't keep me posted when you have a field of 12" rosettes, please....lol :p:p

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/organic-herbs/growing-dandelion

http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
From what I hear ASCOTT is a WIZ at growing dandelions

LMAOffff.....yes, I am the master at planting dandelion seeds...this is true, the problem I always run into is--- not a damn one of them want to grow for me.....lol. I imagine I have planted a million of the little buggers and I believe I have like 5 mini teeny tiny microscopic dandelion rosettes....

So here are a couple of links that are good...the second one is a fav of mine due to he offers great information....have fun and hey uh, do me a solid and don't keep me posted when you have a field of 12" rosettes, please....lol :p:p
About time you see that I was making fun of u:D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
bigred said:
Waiting is the tuff part

Yes the waiting is killing me, unless I give in and get them early :p but then I'll have to move there enclosures.....Erg I didnt think about that part hmph :'(

ascott said:

I'm gonna post a pic just for u when I do :D the thread will read "Just for AScott NEENER NEENER" :D

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Apparently my thumb must be so black I can't even get seeds to dry out. Anybody know if the little white puff has to be removed from dandy seeds before they can be planted?

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I planted some 2 weeks ago directly from the little puff ball. They are already coming up.
I just rubbed them in my hand a little to separate the seeds from the fluff. Scattered them on a flat of old used potting soil. Barely scratch them in. Very shallow I think is key.
Don't over think it. They are weeds after all. Most people can't stop them from growing.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
I would imagine that they would be fine to just be planted, drying seeds out I think is more about preserving them for the next season not necessarily for planting right away. After all would they get a chance to dry out in the wild?

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Ok so I have alot of leftover topsoil in the bag after making Moonpie's enclosure can I use that to plant them?

Status
Not open for further replies.