Dalmatian vs. Eastern for hatchlings?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I'm getting a hermann's tortoise tomorrow. My dad got her from LLL reptile and she is about 2.5 inches long. So I'm not sure if she is considered a hatchling. Anyways, how can you tell the difference between a dalmatian tortoise and an eastern tortoise when they are young? I ask because when on the website picking out a tortoise, I asked for a "small eastern hermann's tortoise with missing scute" but my dad said when they got it, the lid said "with extra scute" and I remember the site having a dalmatian hermann's with an extra scute. So I'm thinking they ordered the wrong type of tortoise or LLL reptile messed up the order (probably the first one). If anyone could post some pictures of the two species while young I can ask him which one he thinks it is. Thanks!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
The differences between the two in terms of raising them is null. They will also look very similar, so I don't think anyone 'messed up'! Either way you will have an adorable little Hermann :)

In the Hermann section of this forum there are sticky notes at the top detailing the differences between dalmatian/eastern/western. If that doesn't help, The best way is to take pictures after your tort is settled in and let members on here help you identify!

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
This question is very difficult to answer, what kind they are so early. I have dalmatians, but I know they are dalmatians since they came from a reputable forum member. So if they are so young, then it is propably not possible to id in the beginning until they are older, but the person for all ids regarding hermanns is Chris Leone from gardenstate tortoises. He is an awesome guy.

Annette