Dale got to go outside today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Dale was so happy today he got to go into his new enclosure that my husband and I put up this weekend. The weather today was around 78 to 80 degrees and it was beautiful. Anyway as soon as I got home from work (around 1:15 p.m.) I put him in it and he seems so happy. He didn't seem scared just cautious. Since we just got Dale at Christmas time and he's about 3 or 4 years old I wondered while I was watching him if he's ever been outside on grass before or what he must be thinking about. It is a dog run so he has a lot of room. He walked around the enclosure trying to push his way out. It was so funny it's just like you say they try to go through the fence. We put up the dog run, but it's not finished yet as you can tell. We still have quite a bit to do, but I couldn't wait for him to walk around in it. I filled up his little dish with water and let him soak in it. He seemed to love the sun. I stayed out there with him for about an hour and then brought him back in. Tomorrow is suppose to be a nice day again so back out we'll go I bet he can't wait. He's probably dreaming about it right now. :p Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Sounds like Dale is a happy tort, Candy. Unfortunately it was dusk before I got home so the kids have to wait until tomorrow (hopefully I will be home earlier). Beautiful day, huh? Too nice to be working late. :(

Dawna

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
It looks like Dale had a fun exploring :D. Where I live was a beautiful day yesterday, but there is still a lot of snow and it was only 44-46 degrees outside. I can't wait to start building Hermy's enclosure :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay for Dale!

I'm trying to decide when I can take Trevor out. I don't feel safe letting him run around the grass in my apartment complex, so the pavement it will be. Problem is it's mostly cloudy here so the pavement doesn't warm up much. It'll have to be both a sunny and warm day which probably won't be until July...

His nails need some wearing down. Even the slate in his enclosure isn't doing much. It would do him some good to be on pavement

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Again today we went outside, but all Dale wants to do is to push his way out of the dog run. It's so funny to watch him because his dog run is 7 feet wide X 13 1/2 feet long and here's this 6 inch Cherryhead walking up and down the sides and poking his head through the holes in the fence. I put him in the middle, but he always walks to the same place. I had to laugh at him today. I have to fix the sides this weekend if it doesn't rain. I'm going to post pictures soon when it gets done. We still have to go to get the wire that Dawna had told us about so the opossums can't get to him (One was on my front porch the other night) of course they don't bother me I actually like them. :) Candy

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I just wanted to tell you again, that Dale is one of the cutest tortoise names I have heard. I get a kick out of seeing it in the posts.

Evan

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Candy said:
Again today we went outside, but all Dale wants to do is to push his way out of the dog run. It's so funny to watch him because his dog run is 7 feet wide X 13 1/2 feet long and here's this 6 inch Cherryhead walking up and down the sides and poking his head through the holes in the fence. I put him in the middle, but he always walks to the same place. I had to laugh at him today. I have to fix the sides this weekend if it doesn't rain. I'm going to post pictures soon when it gets done. We still have to go to get the wire that Dawna had told us about so the opossums can't get to him (One was on my front porch the other night) of course they don't bother me I actually like them. :) Candy

Let me know if you have trouble getting it or have any questions about it :)

Dawna

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It really sounds to me like he is stressed. You need to get some 1" X 12" boards and run them around the inside of the enclosure. Make sure he has plenty of hides and you can either plant some large plants like hostas directly in the ground or place some potted plants in there to provide cover. He is trying to find a "safe" place because he feels exposed, and he is going to hurt his little head on that wire.

Kristina

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My tortoises been going out these past days too, its been getting around 75-80 during the day, so spring is coming... i hope

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
We are going to get some of the slates for his enclosure so he can't see out. We also are going to put bricks around and a couple of big rocks to decorate. We do have a hide in there and I did put him in it, but he came right out looking around at the backyard. My husband said it doesn't matter how much room you give them they will always want more. I thought yeah he's probably right. We went to Costco the other day and bought him his very own tree to hide under. He did go under it but he wouldn't stay. I have been watching him so he doesn't hurt himself, but he does look like he's having fun out there. It's a whole new world for him I can't wait until it's all done and he can go outside for the whole day. He's so funny he just stares at the dogs when there barking, but what surprises me is when they do bark he doesn't jump or put his head in he just sits there looking right at them. I figure he's wondering to himself " What are they"? Well he couldn't go out today because I think it's a little too cold for him so maybe next week. Dawna I will let you know how it goes with getting the wire thanks. Candy

M

Maggie Cummings

I just love the name Dale, and of course I always think he's named after Dale Earnhardt....:D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
maggie3fan said:
I just love the name Dale, and of course I always think he's named after Dale Earnhardt....:D

You are showing your NASCAR side again... :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Candy, if you get the slats that weave through the wire of the dog run he will still be able to see between the slats and he will continue to try and get out. Mine can not see out and they still go to the edge and try and climb, not all the time but like they are trying to see if they can get up on a ledge or get out. What type of tree did you get Dale. Sounds like you may be having as much fun as he is :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was just at Home Depot looking at the slats, but didn't get them yet. I'm glad you told me that I was kind of thinking the same things. The tree that I bought at Costco is a Phoenix Roehelenii Palm. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall maybe 3. I was going to check first to make sure it was O.K. to put in with Dale before I planted it. I just got through reading about it they say it does have sharp spines at the bottom I didn't know that. It's in a container right now. It might have to stay that way. I liked it because it reminder me of a rain forest plant. I want to make Dale feel at home. I am having setting it up for him. I also have some Christmas Cactus in there and an Aloe plant. I'm not done yet though. I do have grass inside because it's already there, but I bought some moss tonight for his hide and I'm still looking for a little dog house for him and I'm going to plant some Shepard's purse in there like Yvonne had suggested. Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Candy if you are handy (or the hubby is) you could build a dog house cheaper than buying one. The wooden dog houses can be pricey. If you are not handy there is a pet store on Las Tunas in TC (superpets) that has an assortment out front everyday. Some have ramps and are elevated, others rest on the ground. I have no clue on price. DON'T look at the torts inside though. That is where I got my first tort (a russian) who went back very quickly (about a year ago) due to a severe RI. I have educated customers in there about the sulcatas, etc. They have teens working there that have no clue and don't care about the animals. I have never seen anyone over 21 in there working. I tried pointing out 7" russians should not be housed with hatchling sulcatas and leopards in a SMALL tank and got a dirty look. Have you ever gone to the other pet store? They don't have dog houses.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
You didn't educate me fast enough Dawna because that is exactly the place that we bought Dale. I didn't know much about tortoises before that and you're right they did have a 1 year old Sucata with two Russians and Dale in the same tank. I'm just glad we got Dale out of there. He's much happier here. I dealt with david the teen that works there. You're right again he probably is about 19 or 20 if you're lucky. I've got to give him this though he had told us not to buy the leopards that he had because they were babies and prone to eye infections. He told us that if we wanted a leopard that he could find us an older one but it would be more pricey. I haven't been in there in a while though. The store is much bigger than I thought it looked from the outside. They do have a large supply of dog houses though. Thanks for the information, but I'm kind of glad I didn't get it earlier that would have meant that we wouldn't have gotten Dale. Candy

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
That's funny. I guess you should play the lottery and I shouldn't. I don't remember how long you have had Dale but they always have torts in there. Usually lots of torts. Since I learned, I try not to go in there unless no one else is open and I need something. They stay open until 9pm and are close by. David has worked there a while. He is a senior in HS now. (my teen knows him).
Glad you didn't talk to me back then. :p Dale is in a good place.

Dawna

Per my teenager you can also buy illegal drugs out of the back room along with the crickets.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dawna, we bought Dale at Christmas time. I'm laughing hysterically as I read your last comment. My husband says that wouldn't surprise him at all. :p Candy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another tropical-looking tree would be a banana tree. You can usually buy them in smaller pots for pretty cheap. Also, the leaves are edible.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.