Daisy, Tuck and Trey

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My adult sulcatas mainly stay underground in their burrow during this time of year, but 3 out of 4 decided to show themselves this afternoon and come begging for food.

Daisy:
2eoib7t.jpg

9aml5d.jpg

I find it amazing that Trey and Daisy are nearly the same size now. Daisy hatched at the end of 2007. Trey hatched in May of 2010:
33etqc5.jpg

14bjpmq.jpg

jkaq10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rearlpettway

What is their average length in inches from the front of the carapace to the back?

Sent from Rodney Earl Pettway's iPad using TortForum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look great. I would always be worried about them, staying in their burrows so much. I guess if one owns them, you get used to that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look great. I would always be worried about them, staying in their burrows so much. I guess if one owns them, you get used to that.

Barb, If you guys ever make it out here you will see it first hand. It is a beautiful thing in person. Seeing them live the way they would live in Africa. They just seem so content and happy with the situation. It makes all seem right with the world when you see a dirty sulcata observing the world from the mouth of its burrow.

And when you feel the summer sun here touch your skin, you will want to get underground with them. It is very uncomfortable here mid-day in summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG Tom, that was great wording, almost poetry. I so do love seeing torts outside, living as natural as we can possibly make it. We will be there some day, couple years or less. Can't wait to see them.
Btw, that would be a great idea. Build a tort night box big enough for a human/tort get/hide away:D

rearlpettway

Tom,
How long do they stay in their burrows before they come out for food?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Is Goldie separated from them? Why is she not included here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is Goldie separated from them? Why is she not included here?

Goldie chose to remain underground this time. This party was all the way over by the six stall barn. Goldie is usually the only one that comes over that far this time of year. That's why it was such a surprise to see them all, and not see her. At first it was just Tuck and Trey. Daisy must have smelled the Mazuri and come running all the way from the burrow.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
They all share the same one, but they have made several "passing lanes" inside.

Such an interesting read. What is your dirt like there? Here, after about a foot, it's nothing but crazy rock hard clay... Is that similar to what y'all have?

rearlpettway

They come out to eat every day. They sleep in there all night, come out in the late morning to warm up and eat, go back underground during the heat of the day, and are most active in the evening, before retiring to sleep underground again.
Here is their burrow:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

Although Kendall lives indoors she exhibits the same behavior as your tortoises.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
those are some nice looking torts.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Your Goldie, Dean!?!
No...Tom had acquired a female with a nice sheen to her shell. I believe she was named Goldie by her previous owner! And she is gorgeous! I'll say no more as I feel Tom will delve deeper into this subject...eventually! ;)