Czech Marginated

Location (City and/or State)
Czech Republic
This is the marginated tortoise we bought in the Czech Republic. Almost 2 years old now. (If you see anything I should be on the lookout for, let me know.)Gregor 8.31.2014.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh that's a pretty little tortoise. The only thing I would say is that the substrate looks a bit on the dry side.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I also think that disk thermometer isn't accurate, a digital one or a temperature gun would be better :)

(r.t)

Spain
Same as Yvonne I think the tortoise is in great conditions but there isn't enough moisture

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a pretty little thing.

Czech Republic
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I have a hard time keeping the coconut coir moist under his basking lamp. (I mist it a few times a day, but I hadn't before this pic was taken.) Underneath the coconut is topsoil, and that seems to be somewhat damp. On the cooler side of the tub the humidity is reading at 70% on the electronic thermometer (I got one after the disc didn't seem too accurate). He spends some of his time in an outside enclosure that is definitely more humid because of all the rain we've been getting.

I'll keep working on the moisture--if you guys have any tips, let me know. Should I just pour a glass of water on that end every day?

Thank you for all the advice and the kind words.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't have personal experience with this species, but if there is damp soil underneath the coco chips I would think that would work for this species? You could also have a humid hide on the warm side of the enclosure I would think to meet his humidity needs. But hopefully someone with marginated experience will give their opinion. He is beautiful. A marginated is what I've always wanted.

Czech Republic
Thanks. I just checked out his tub now, and the chips had gotten very dry. I sprayed it down, so it's definitely wet and humid there now. I like the idea of a humid hide, I'll try to work on that. He really likes to bury himself, so I've been hoping that the topsoil was damp enough for him. It may not have been, so I'll be more vigilant. Thank you all again.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Again, if the topsoil underneath is damp and he likes to bury himself then he may be getting the amount of moisture he needs already. But like I said, someone who works with this species could help you more.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks. I just checked out his tub now, and the chips had gotten very dry. I sprayed it down, so it's definitely wet and humid there now. I like the idea of a humid hide, I'll try to work on that. He really likes to bury himself, so I've been hoping that the topsoil was damp enough for him. It may not have been, so I'll be more vigilant. Thank you all again.
I'd suggest making a spraying routine. Like spray when you wake up, before lunch, before dinner, or something like that :p how many times do you spray a day? You can add warm water in the corners, that would help :D

Czech Republic
I'm a teacher and it's been summer, so I was spraying 3-4 times a day; work started last week, so I think I was much less attentive to it. I can definitely do it when I wake up and when I get home. I'll ask my son to work on it as well. I'm really terrified of him pyramiding, so I do appreciate the advice.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm a teacher and it's been summer, so I was spraying 3-4 times a day; work started last week, so I think I was much less attentive to it. I can definitely do it when I wake up and when I get home. I'll ask my son to work on it as well. I'm really terrified of him pyramiding, so I do appreciate the advice.
With tort parent like you, he'll never pyramid :) I hope he grows old and big!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He looks great! I think you are doing just fine. Have you had him since he was a hatchling?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think I see your problem... is that enclosure completely closed? Open topped enclosures don't hold humidity :)

Czech Republic
No, only since June. It seemed like the pet-store was keeping him very dry (but bathing him every day) so I've been afraid he'll be inclined to pyramiding. Thank you so much.

Czech Republic
Abdulla, yeah that's the problem. It's completely open. I should probably get some acrylic or plastic covering for part of it.