Cypress mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I recently became aware of the issues with cypress mulch and wanted to share it with you.

Cypress mulch has been a popular substrate, especially for species requiring higher humidity levels. But the cypress mulch is often made with trees that came from an endangered ecosystem.

Here is the link to more info on what is going on.

http://www.saveourcypress.org/

In a nutshell, cypress mulch industry is destroying the wetland in the Gulf Coast. It is a very important part of ecosystem there. Moreover, cypress forests act as natural protection against storm and flooding. Some believe Katrina damage could have been less severe if they had intact cypress forests.

You don't have to be a tree hugger to care about cypress trees. We all chose to become herpetoculturists. We all care for our own animals, but it should not be done at the expense of other living beings, such as plants and animals (people included) in the ecosystem that might be affected by our practice.

It is a serious stuff and we all should be aware of what is going on and avoid using cypress mulch. I know it's cheap and convenient, but like Al said, truth is often inconvenient.

Thanks for reading. And please give it a thought.
Em

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the info Em

I did not know that. I wanted to buy some to see if Hermy likes it but I wont. I will continu to use Aspen instead.

Isa

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, Isa. You are always so sweet :)

by the way, I use fir bark for my Hermanns. I just keep it less moist for her. I love it. I've never tried aspen or hay. Somehow, I don't like them, seems so dry.. but a lot of people use them, successfully, as you know..

Em

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
hystrix said:
Thanks, Isa. You are always so sweet :)

by the way, I use fir bark for my Hermanns. I just keep it less moist for her. I love it. I've never tried aspen or hay. Somehow, I don't like them, seems so dry.. but a lot of people use them, successfully, as you know..

Em

Thanks for the info Em, Fir barks is a pretty good idea.

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I personally would not use this type of bark or mulch with my torts. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.
Please be careful when using Fir bark. Fir bark is from the Douglas fir tree it is a conifer.
It is suggested not to use conifer trees as mulch or building pens for your torts.. These aromatic woods can cause respiratory and/or eye problems in tortoises. Here are some sites that state this and explain why.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-russian.htm

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
I personally would not use this type of bark or mulch with my torts. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.
Please be careful when using Fir bark. Fir bark is from the Douglas fir tree it is a conifer.
It is suggested not to use conifer trees as mulch or building pens for your torts.. These aromatic woods can cause respiratory and/or eye problems in tortoises. Here are some sites that state this and explain why.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-russian.htm

Thanks for the update Robyn :)

You are right, better to be safe than sorry.

Isa

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
hystrix said:
I recently became aware of the issues with cypress mulch and wanted to share it with you.

Cypress mulch has been a popular substrate, especially for species requiring higher humidity levels. But the cypress mulch is often made with trees that came from an endangered ecosystem.

Here is the link to more info on what is going on.

http://www.saveourcypress.org/

In a nutshell, cypress mulch industry is destroying the wetland in the Gulf Coast. It is a very important part of ecosystem there. Moreover, cypress forests act as natural protection against storm and flooding. Some believe Katrina damage could have been less severe if they had intact cypress forests.

You don't have to be a tree hugger to care about cypress trees. We all chose to become herpetoculturists. We all care for our own animals, but it should not be done at the expense of other living beings, such as plants and animals (people included) in the ecosystem that might be affected by our practice.

It is a serious stuff and we all should be aware of what is going on and avoid using cypress mulch. I know it's cheap and convenient, but like Al said, truth is often inconvenient.

Thanks for reading. And please give it a thought.
Em

Em it's like anything that humans do.. most EVERYTHING these days has a direct affect on everything else.. sooner or later.

nerd

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
But we can also choose NOT to do things that we know are bad, Terry :)

Em

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would also like to point out the the Douglas Fir climax forest ( the only temperate rainforest in the world) is a threatened ecotone. This is where your fir mulch is from. Perhaps we all should be useing aspen, a tree that goes from seedling to harvest in 10 to 20 years.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you, Larry for the info.

I had a very interesting read on temperate rainforest. It seems to a big problem in Alaska and British Columbia. I e-mailed Zoomed to see if they can tell me the origin of the materials, doubt if it would tell me anything, but interesting to see their reaction.

I guess it's like opening a can of worms..
But I rather know what is going on than not knowingly contribute to the decline in biodiversity.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Another choice for substrat is hardwood mulch from nurseries (at least in the Midwest and possibly in the East). This is made from "trash" trees such as cottonwoods, slippery elm, red maple, ect. This holds moisture well and seems to recreate forest floor well. I keep my RFs, Burmese Mtns, and Boxes on this. I do use aspen on my other herps (milks and bluetongues) because it is drier.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, Larry
I'm going to check out hardwood mulch. Sounds like a great option :)

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Cypress works for me and my Marginated. I prefer not to waste gas/pollute the air unnecessarily driving around creation to find something else that may or may not work. I don't trust the mulch from nurseries as they are frequently trated with chemicals to retard rotting. Besides, trees are a renewable resource. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.