Cypress mulch talk, again

Bekki2782

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I like to eat chicken, in front of my chickens, while I drop subtle hints about meeting the egg quota this week.
Everybody with any decency does that, how else would we get our egg quota? Besides I can one up that. I feed my chickens chicken and tell them its Turkey. And they like it! Boom!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It's like Leopard Toroise World Wide or something similar. Really a pretty good group and support system, nice people and some helpful info. But also maybe some incorrect and very strong opinions not necessarily backed by science, like the mulch thing.
many things aren’t backed by science for example the whole pyraminding idea, in here we believe 100% has to do with humidity. science doesn’t prove that but we have evidence.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
I don't think you're supposed to use pine or cedar bark mulch.

freespirit4488

Apache Junction, Az
Hello group, I'm relatively new to the tortoise world and as many people know the information out there varies GREATLY. I trust this group and I've read many of the past threads about cypress mulch here. Wanted to just confirm people here are OK with some mulch (forest floor specifically) in a yearling leopard tortoise enclosure(also has coir, soil). My leopard Facebook page says to not to use it but then people other places do use it and often.
Thoughts? I mistakenly bought quite a bit of it so I wanted to use it...IF it's safe only. Otherwise oh well money lost. Not important compared to my torts health. Tort pic because...its cute.
I used mulch in my tanks for the babies I get til they are ready to go in their outside pen. Never had a problem with it or them with mulch. I have Russian tortoises. Hope this helps!

Bekki2782

Tucson
Has anyone fed chicken to their chickens?.. now thats thats messed up
I win lol. Its ok like I said I tell them its Turkey, good protein. And yes, they will eat their own if they're small enough. Chickens are brutal man.
many things aren’t backed by science for example the whole pyraminding idea, in here we believe 100% has to do with humidity. science doesn’t prove that but we have evidence.
I think evidence from enough people is proof enough for me they need humidity.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hello group, I'm relatively new to the tortoise world and as many people know the information out there varies GREATLY. I trust this group and I've read many of the past threads about cypress mulch here. Wanted to just confirm people here are OK with some mulch (forest floor specifically) in a yearling leopard tortoise enclosure(also has coir, soil). My leopard Facebook page says to not to use it but then people other places do use it and often.
Thoughts? I mistakenly bought quite a bit of it so I wanted to use it...IF it's safe only. Otherwise oh well money lost. Not important compared to my torts health. Tort pic because...its cute.
Pretty tort

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I use coco coir with a cypress mulch top layer for my tortoise. It works great and helps with humidity. I never had any problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has anyone fed chicken to their chickens?.. now thats thats messed up
I have. They love it. Sometimes they eat their own eggs too. That part makes me mad. I also feed them surplus cockroaches. They gobble them up. Those red runners aren't so fast when compared to hungry chicken speed.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
I’ll second Tom’s comment. It’s fine, I used it for several years without issue.

Right now my preferred choice is pine bark fines because the texture is nicer (easier for small tortoises to dig). Same stuff as orchid bark but with more size variation and much cheaper.
I thought pine was bad for torts? I'm having a hard time finding large amounts of fir bark so is pine bark OK to use instead?