Cypress Mulch as Bedding

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
Hello,

I am in a perpetual battle to find the "perfect" bedding for my tortoises. So far cypress mulch is a favorite (my favorite, but the tortoises seem fine with it too), but it seems to dry out quickly. Is this a substrate that should be part of a 50/50 mix? If so, with what? I have heard of people using playsand, or with an Eco Earth type product?

A reptile specific shop near me sells their own (I think it's their own mix) of sphagnum peat moss, extremely fine sand, and bentonite clay. Could this mix be the other part of the 50/50 mix? (It's amazing for my Whites tree frogs)

Or should I replace the cypress mulch entirely? The reason I like it is the tortoises don't drag dirt into the water bowels and make mud. But if something else is better, I will be happy to refresh their water as many times a day as needed. I change it once a day now regardless of it is dirty or not.

If it makes a difference I have, in separate enclosures. A three-toed box turtle, a small (4-5 inch) leopard tortoise, and a 3 week old greek tortoise.

I think I overly obsess a bit about the bedding thing, but I want my babies to have the best possible living environment.

I am going to be adding humid hides as soon as I can make them in the next day or two.
Which is a whole different question, like what do you use in them? Sphagnum moss? other moss? something entirely different?

Sorry for the mini rant. I point you to the obsessed bit above. LOL

Kayla

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Play sand is an outdated substrate option. It is hazardous to tortoises. Make sure to pay attention to the date of the information given. Tortoise care is always evolving, however, many organizations still continue to use outdated information. Veterinarians, zoos, and pet shops are just a few examples of such organizations.

I would suggest against buying reptile branded substrate mixes. They're too generic and are not catered directly to most tortoises' needs.

Coco coir and fine grade orchid bark/fir bark are highly recommended. They both retain humidity fairly well in closed chamber setups. Cypress mulch is fine. You can mix one of these options along with the mulch if you wish.

You don't need to use moss in your hides. Dunk them in water to retain humidity.

Pour water, mist water, and mix the substrate to keep humidity levels high. Make sure you temperature and humidity levels are accurate so that your tortoises will stay healthy.

Here are some links you may want to read up on. Please disregard the information about sand in the Greek tortoise thread:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/leopard-tortoise-care-sheet.63792/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cypress much is fine. No need to mix anything in. I choose not to use it because it smells like the swamp it came from and because it takes 100s of gallons to rinse large volumes of it and get it "clean". I also don't like the deforestation taking place in our southern swamps.

I prefer fine grade orchid bark.

Coco coir is good for baby Testudo species, but I like the orchid bark for most others.

I agree that sand should not be under any tortoise, not even as part of a mix.

Ohio
Cypress mulch caused me to have mushrooms. Really like my coco coir / fir bark mix, easy to find the tortoises burrowed down and holds the moisture well.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I use a 50/50 mix of topsoil and coco coir for my tortoises (a colony of sub-adult Russians, and baby Russians and various subspecies of Greeks).

For my humid hides for the babies, I get a square plastic container with a lid and cut an opening in the side. I fill it with sphagnum moss which I keep warm and moist. I also use a digital thermometer + hygrometer w/probes to monitor temp and humidity in the hides.

Tortoises will always trek through their water dishes, regardless of the substrate you use. I give them all fresh clean water dishes every morning, that I'm washing in the afternoon, every day. But that means they are staying hydrated and soaking themselves (in addition to the soaks I give them), which is good.

TortMom6

I use a 50/50 mix of topsoil and coco coir for my tortoises (a colony of sub-adult Russians, and baby Russians and various subspecies of Greeks).

For my humid hides for the babies, I get a square plastic container with a lid and cut an opening in the side. I fill it with sphagnum moss which I keep warm and moist. I also use a digital thermometer + hygrometer w/probes to monitor temp and humidity in the hides.

Tortoises will always trek through their water dishes, regardless of the substrate you use. I give them all fresh clean water dishes every morning, that I'm washing in the afternoon, every day. But that means they are staying hydrated and soaking themselves (in addition to the soaks I give them), which is good.

I agree with not minding if they foul the water with dirt. I'd rather they were drinking and soaking and making a mess than not and keeping it clean.

TortMom6

Cypress much is fine. No need to mix anything in. I choose not to use it because it smells like the swamp it came from and because it takes 100s of gallons to rinse large volumes of it and get it "clean". I also don't like the deforestation taking place in our southern swamps.

I prefer fine grade orchid bark.

Coco coir is good for baby Testudo species, but I like the orchid bark for most others.

I agree that sand should not be under any tortoise, not even as part of a mix.

Wow, I never even eabout the water consumption and deforestation that I'm participating in by using cypress mulch. I won't use plactic utensils, paper plates, or straws because of similar environmental concerns. But I never thought about the bedding being an issue too. Well no more cypress mulch for my tortoises! Next time it's time for a change I'll pick coco-coir or orchid bark.
Thanks for brubring this point up, ImI kind of ashamed with myself for not thinking about it earlier.