cuttlebone or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarok

5 Year Member
Should I keep a cuttleone in his enclosure for calcium or no?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Yes. I keep cuttlebones in my box turtles enclosures. They chew on them all the time and it helps keep the beak trim.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I keep atleast one in every enclosure I have. The way I look at it is, they are very cheap, will last if not eaten right away, allow the tortoise another source of calcium if and when they decide they want more, they are good for the beaks, and are simple, easy, no fuss things to give them. For me, it's a win win, even for those animals who never seem to touch their cuttlebones.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Another yes vote. It does no harm to have one there and if your tort takes to it, it does a lot of good for the beak :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Good comments above. Yes, each of my tortoises has a cuttlebone in his/her pen. The female uses it, nibbling on it from time to time, the male doesn't now, but at some point he might. Cuttlebones are a good source of calcium, and keep the tortoise's beak trim. They are also cheap and easy to use; just place them in the pen and let the tortoise do with it what it will. No reason not to use them.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
funny you should ask this, because when I moved my RF's outside, I just put big pieces of the cuttlebone in various locations of the enclosure. I had been just sprinkling the poweder or relying on their greens. It was amazing, all of them at some point found a piece of the cuttlebone and began chomping on it. That tells me, that they were needing it or just curious. Either way, I am leaving it in. Now if I can just pick out all of the little rocks that keep popping up as they walk about, I will really happy.

So, YES to cuttlebone

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Another yes vote, all of mine eat them even if its just small nibbles...

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Our two Russians have never touched the one in their pen. Also, I bought way too many of them from Carolina Pet and would love to give some away.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I keep one in Bowser's area. Every now and then she will nibble on it :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
As I said above, my boxies chew on theirs everyday. And my gulf coast boxie likes to pull his into his soaking dish and chew on it in the water!

MnM10

5 Year Member
Yes it's fine. My Sulcata like to put his in the substrate first then eat it =___=

Status
Not open for further replies.