Not open for further replies.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coventry, England
Larrah said:
Thanks guys,

He has a UVB bulb but because the attachment is a bit high, his basking spot is about 21.5c is this far too low? Am going to set him up in a different place i think...xxx

Hi larrah, depending on how hot your basking light gets then you can alter it to the tortoises needs.
my light is only a 40wattage, and has a aliminium shade to reflect all heat downwards above the tortoises.
it is roughly 5 inches above my tortoises.

depending on the wattage, and how much heat it gives off you can alter it.
you can test it with your hand or a thermometer

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Larrah said:
Ok, have given him a bath now...he moved backwards for a bit then settled...went to the toilet and had a drink...now he has gone and buried himself in the woodchips on his tortoise table! Bruce seemed quite happy tho!

Can't really contact the woman as she has moved away but will try mixing good food with a tiny bit of the bad and see how he gets on. I will definatley take a lookat this TNT too-sounds like good stuff!

Am loving having a tortoise-really interesting and he's really cute too, but soooo much to think about and can't help but think of the little blighter as fragile! xxx
Hi Larrah,
Are you aware that woodchip is toxic to torts?

Larrah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Julie,
errrr...no! It's called terrano, the pet shop said it would be okay for him. The pet shop near me was rubbish and this was the only stuff they had. Should i take it all out now or get new stuff a.s.a.p?Was actually planning on changing it anyway after reading the best substrates to use. Any recomendations? xxx

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Larrah said:
Hi Julie,
errrr...no! It's called terrano, the pet shop said it would be okay for him. The pet shop near me was rubbish and this was the only stuff they had. Should i take it all out now or get new stuff a.s.a.p?Was actually planning on changing it anyway after reading the best substrates to use. Any recomendations? xxx

You can use a mix of play sand and top soil (50/50) or just Coconut coir (Bed-A-Beast type substrate). I use the latter with a little top soil and it works great.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Pet stores give out wrong care full stop, ive found that out the hard way.

the best substrate is playsand and soil 50/50 mixture, or you can have bed-a-beast and playsand, or if you dont want that you can use Hemcore, or aspen as substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.