Cut on Red Foot's neck

Redfoot Sam

My Redfoot has had this cut on the bottom side of his neck. I thought it was a result of him trying to climb out of his old enclosure. He has a new one and he doesn't climb, but the cut is still there, and tonight it seemed bigger than usual. I've uploaded a picture. Sorry it's a little blurry, he was extremely active tonight!
I really don't have the money for a reptile vet right now. Could it be because his plastron is kind of pointed? I'm confused. Help me out

IMG_4378.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does look to me like his plastron may be poking him and causing it. I would try to file the very tip with a finger file, just enough to take the pointy edge off. Clean the cute and put some antibiotic cream on it and keep it clean until healed. You can use paper towels as a substrate until it's healed if it's regular substrate seems to get in it.

Bee62

Germany
Hello @Redfoot Sam
Please be careful as long as the wound hasn`t healed to let your tort roam outside. If a fly lay eggs in the wound maggots can cause big problems.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good advice! You can use silver sulfadiazine ointment or neosporin without the pain killer, on the cut.