Custom Tortoise Table

Psev

Hi I will be building a custom L shaped tortoise table this upcoming summer. I have done a lot of research and I've come up with a pretty great idea and dimensions for my table but asking what you guys think and for your opinions!

My table is gunna be L shaped.
Both long sides will be 8 feet long.
Shorter sides will be 5 feet long.
I have not determined the width yet. Originally I had thought 3 feet but now I'm think 4 feet. What do you guys think?
The walls around it will be 1 foot high with a lip over them so climbing out won't be an issue. Should I build higher wall than 1 foot?
This table will be for a Redfoot or Cherryhead. I wanted to get 2 but from what I've read getting 2 is a bad idea. And 1 will have lots more room to wonder around.
Would love to hear your guys/gals input on my table and if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
How will you hold the proper heat and humidity in an open table for those species? Are you getting a hatchling/Juvenile or an Adult?

Psev

I will have a double zoomed light for basking area. Then have heat emitter over part of enclosure and another heat light over another part. Then have blacklight bulb inside hide away area. Also plan on getting repti-fogger and or repti-rain to help. I think that should help keep it humid and keep the Temps where I need them.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
That sounds awesome! I would go with four feet in width. If you have the space to do it, then bigger is almost always better. (Unless this is a hatchling we're talking about).

Psev

Yea I was thinking 4 feet as well for the width. And I'll be starting off with a 6 month old Redfoot or Cherryhead. So it'll have lots of room to roam and grow.
I will for sure post lots of pics when the process starts this summer, already got the wood to make it jus waiting for warming weather. Stay on the look out in upcoming months!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
A big open space like that will be hard to keep warm and humid enough for a hatchling redfoot. You'll find an older tortoise more forgiving of care. A greenhouse-style cover over the entire enclosure will help maintain appropriate conditions.

Psev

Thanks for the input Sarah! The room I will have the table in will be heated. And with a heat emitter and and couple heat bulbs in the enclosure spread out very well. As well as fogger and or mister and good substrate for humidity. I should be good with temperature. But if i do find problems keeping heat and humidity in there i will add a cover! And the redfoot itself will be around 6 months old so it'll be past the baby/hatchling stage for most part.