Custom clay water bowls

Blair64

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
I have been experimenting with clay to make water bowls for my torts as I like making my enclosures as natural as possible. Currently drying this one and going to epoxy once dry to waterproof. If anyone is interested in the process I can answer any questions ?

Attachments

• C38BE1E8-E529-4D97-A692-D7CFFCD7130F.jpeg
    C38BE1E8-E529-4D97-A692-D7CFFCD7130F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 317104A7-1417-4A32-B40D-019671305D50.jpeg
    317104A7-1417-4A32-B40D-019671305D50.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I have been experimenting with clay to make water bowls for my torts as I like making my enclosures as natural as possible. Currently drying this one and going to epoxy once dry to waterproof. If anyone is interested in the process I can answer any questions ?
This is a really cool idea! I have never worked with epoxy. Is there any concern with epoxy leeching into the water over time?

Blair64

Scotland
This is a really cool idea! I have never worked with epoxy. Is there any concern with epoxy leeching into the water over time?
I have done quite a lot of research into that. Most epoxy is labelled non toxic and food safe. I also discovered a lot of plastic looking cups are epoxy resin. Although I am currently testing before I put it anywhere near my torts

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have done this a couple different ways:

- epoxy grout (used for tile floors).
- porcelain clay that is then fired

It wasn’t worth the effort since plant saucers are cheap. But if you want to make something visually appealing such as for public display, the epoxy grout can be molded by hand and is very durable when cured. You could also mix colors.

Blair64

Scotland
I have done this a couple different ways:

- epoxy grout (used for tile floors).
- porcelain clay that is then fired

It wasn’t worth the effort since plant saucers are cheap. But if you want to make something visually appealing such as for public display, the epoxy grout can be molded by hand and is very durable when cured. You could also mix colors.
Yeah exactly. I just enjoy contributing a lot to my enclose, always pays off