Curtis is 3, and officially outside full time!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
IMG_3459.jpg
It’s Curtis’s 3rd birthday, so what better day to move a 200 pound 4x4x2 night box 1/10 of a mile by hand? This night box actually got finished in December of last year, but it was too cold to put him out, and it was so hard to move that it just got put off for way too long.
IMG_3441.jpg
We made this night box out of completely scrap material in my construction class, with a bunch of 15 year old kids that think everything needs a hole hammered into it, but I hope it still lasts a very long time. This took so long to make, and hopefully we have it much longer.
IMG_3461.jpg
It is completely insulated on every wall, and the door works as a ramp. Since it’s summer it doesn’t need any additional heating, but I’ll be putting a space heater in very soon. He’ll be locked in at night, and have the option to go in and out whenever he wants year round.

Obviously he will be getting full access to the yard very soon, but having it smaller temporarily lets me moderate how he’s doing, and it’ll hopefully get him to go into the night box every night on his own. The enclosure isn’t done either, and I still need to stain and caulk the house.

Curtis weighs in at 7.2 pounds and 11 inches in length, and he’s only getting larger from there. It’s crazy to think he used to be 46 grams!
IMG_1209.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yay, Happy Big 3.
A gallon of clear or colored flex seal costs about 85.00. It should make that box last a long time without having to repaint or reseal.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
View attachment 276860
It’s Curtis’s 3rd birthday, so what better day to move a 200 pound 4x4x2 night box 1/10 of a mile by hand? This night box actually got finished in December of last year, but it was too cold to put him out, and it was so hard to move that it just got put off for way too long.
View attachment 276861
We made this night box out of completely scrap material in my construction class, with a bunch of 15 year old kids that think everything needs a hole hammered into it, but I hope it still lasts a very long time. This took so long to make, and hopefully we have it much longer.
View attachment 276862
It is completely insulated on every wall, and the door works as a ramp. Since it’s summer it doesn’t need any additional heating, but I’ll be putting a space heater in very soon. He’ll be locked in at night, and have the option to go in and out whenever he wants year round.

Obviously he will be getting full access to the yard very soon, but having it smaller temporarily lets me moderate how he’s doing, and it’ll hopefully get him to go into the night box every night on his own. The enclosure isn’t done either, and I still need to stain and caulk the house.

Curtis weighs in at 7.2 pounds and 11 inches in length, and he’s only getting larger from there. It’s crazy to think he used to be 46 grams!
View attachment 276863

Wow!! I am SO impressed that you got the class to help you with that box! That’s just awesome!!! Curtis looks great.