Curtis has gone missing

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I'm crying with happiness! ???

Morla is sitting next to me at this very moment and if she could, she'd be clapping her hands and singing CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES. C'MON!!! ??

I can't tell you how happy I am for you!!! Keep my donation and keep the little Houdini safe!!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Saphire is a monkey in a tortoise shell. He never lets that hold him down though. His shell gives him more leverage to scoot things around to suit his main agenda of exploring the big wild world. Little brats.

Sa Ga

MN
I was coming back around after searching for an hour, and I just so happened to look down. I couldn’t believe my eyes!

We’re thinking he got there around an hour and a half before I found him, because that’s when our ring doorbell had last went off. I came out through the back door, so I didn’t see him when I first started searching. Still have no idea how he managed to specifically get right to our front door!
Is it possible someone brought him back and dumped him there?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Now, on the matter of the Gofundme...
I have not taken any of the money out, so anyone who wants their money back is completely welcome to take it. However, whatever money that stays will be put towards a tracker for his shell, and reinforcements to his enclosure.

Thank you to EVERYONE for all of the help and encouragement!
Go get your tracker. I doubt any of us will miss the $$. We are all just releived that all is back to normal!

jeannettep

Texas
My sil had a Sulcata outside year round in Magnolia, Tx. I saw you were in Tx too. She burrows in winter. She has an wooden dog house type for her, but does nothing else other than food & water. So maybe he decided to burrow. I know with my burrowing turtles/torts I have a horrible time finding them when they are right in front of me. How about making a run, kind of like a cattle shoot blocked at the end inside your yard where if you open the gate he can come in the yard partway, but if he is in the yard he would be blocked from going out? Of course you would have to make sure he is for sure not in the area of the inlet. But you could place food on either side. Also what about a security cam that records? We use those all the time. It uploads to the cloud. If I cant find where mine went, I review the footage and it gives me at least a starting point & time. It also tells me when it catches them coming out wandering around the yard and what ate the food. I recently tried a tile sticker, but I haven't gotten it to stay on yet. The 24 hours of dry I haven't done yet since that's in the adhesive instructions. But I could hear it underground. I'm in hope he burrowed!

jeannettep

Texas
Really, burrowing usually isn’t the issue. Any time they burrow, it’s usually down under the ground and not under and through a fence. There real problem is having see through fences or fences with gaps. If they know there’s a world out there, they’ll usually try to get to it.
Wouldnt one of those breathable green tarps work? ColourTree 2nd Generation 6' x 50' Green Fence Privacy Screen Windscreen Cover Fabric Shade Tarp Netting Mesh Cloth - Commercial Grade 170 GSM - Heavy Duty - 3 Years Warranty - CUSTOM SIZE AVAILABLE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS3XBCQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jeannettep

Texas
Glad to gear the good news, just before Christmas I saw some GPS tracking devices that were selling a pack of four, for about fifty dollars. (Sams Club)They were the size of a quarter, also had a small hole like a dog tag two were magnetic and two could be attached somehow. My tortise is just about the size of yours. This summer will be his first summer outside. Didn't thing to buy the tracker then but after your situation I will make it may first priority to fit him with a GPS tracking device before he is put in the yard. I already have 6 cameras on 24 hrs aday. Again! I am so glad that Curtis was found, keep him close and give him a nice warm bath and a big treat.???
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have the tile sticker & it worked great while it stayed on. But I need to follow the directions better so the adhesive stays longer. I got 4 cheap & a Google home thing free. When I told them I was trying it on my torts they sent me replacement adhesives free & suggested attachment idea. I bet my tort was wondering what that sound was when she buried herself & I tested the sound option.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some how I missed all this. So glad you got him back. Sorry you had to go thru it. I know the feeling of having one lost and there was no way mine could have gotten out but I would panic anyway. Hopefully it never happens again. If they could just figure out how well they have it with us they wouldn't wonder off.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There are microchips for torts too. (But still do a tracker/etc. so ppl have a way to know to possibly look for one and of course, it'll give you another way to locate him.)
After I had Bob chipped, (actually he won it in a photo contest) I called around to some Vets here asking if any had ever checked a lost tortoise for a chip and it was 100% no...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yay! Welcome home Curtis. I wish you could tell us all about your adventure.
Me too, I want to know how he got through 5 days of rainy, cold, sometimes below freezing weather only to waltz up to my front door like nothing happened, lol