Curtis has gone missing

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
His night box is always the spot he returns to, and on the rare occasions he does get to go to a different yard (which has not happened recently since he was given a whole yard to himself), he would just sit and graze
I plan to start keeping mine outside starting this spring, and this is my absolute greatest fear. I think they are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes. If it was stolen, then of course that's an entirely separate issue. I hope to God you find him!!!

Vibes

South Florida
I plan to start keeping mine outside starting this spring, and this is my absolute greatest fear. I think they are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes. If it was stolen, then of course that's an entirely separate issue. I hope to God you find him!!!
You just need to dig down 2-4 feet in the ground and place fencing or plywood down there so they burrow out and escape

Sa Ga

MN
Yeah, I'm probably too overprotective, but my greatest fear is Morla being lost/dying from a situation I could have easily prevented. I'd love to put her outside in summer--at least during the days--but I'm too afraid to do so unattended. I have heard there may (or may not) be a benefit to hibernating torts, but if she didn't wake up as is a risk, I'd be crushed that I even put her in that situation.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You just need to dig down 2-4 feet in the ground and place fencing or plywood down there so they burrow out and escape
I know. Already done. I still get antsy though. Kinda like when your kid leaves for college.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Really, burrowing usually isn’t the issue. Any time they burrow, it’s usually down under the ground and not under and through a fence. There real problem is having see through fences or fences with gaps. If they know there’s a world out there, they’ll usually try to get to it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@TechnoCheese if it were me I would definitely leave a gate open so he can get back to his night box if he did get out. I'd bet money if he's not too cold he would eventually come back. I got my fingers crossed for you. I really hope you can find Curtis!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Really, burrowing usually isn’t the issue. Any time they burrow, it’s usually down under the ground and not under and through a fence. There real problem is having see through fences or fences with gaps. If they know there’s a world out there, they’ll usually try to get to it.
Have you considered setting up perimeter cams for it? I have mine completely zoned out with Arlo cams.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Have you considered setting up perimeter cams for it? I have mine completely zoned out with Arlo cams.
I’ve considered it before, but after this I’m definitely looking into it. That, and tile trackers for his shell or getting him microchipped.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
@TechnoCheese if it were me I would definitely leave a gate open so he can get back to his night box if he did get out. I'd bet money if he's not too cold he would eventually come back. I got my fingers crossed for you. I really hope you can find Curtis!
Already left a gate open. I really, really hope he comes back. He’s basically my first born child, lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They dig a hole and enter and exit through that same hole.
The don't generally tunnel out with an entrance hole and a remote exit hole.
The generally dig under a wall or a fence, etc. But don't pop out the other side.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@TechnoCheese I don't have much advice other than what's been offered ( trying to recruit neighborhood kids to look ), but I'm praying for Curtis' safe return. Don't give up hope, no matter what. I can't imagine how hard this must be, but we're all here for you. :<3:

Bob escaped and neighborhood kids found him and hadda bring me to him. I think it's a good thing to select a couple of kids you feel you can trust, show them what you have, explaining about escape and make an impression on the certain care they need and most kids are always interested in that stuff. Knowing that my bible study group knows I'm weird and we all held hands and gave a prayer for Curtis' return...Bob was my first Sulcata, I have other tortoises, but the first one I think is the bond....he died unexpectedly , but at leased I knew where he was....:(

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A little suggestion from left field- you wouldn't happen to know someone with a tracking dog? Tort don't have sweat glands like us stinky humans but do have enough of a scent a dog could track. Maybe the local PD has tracker that wouldn't mind a little unusual training? Good Luck

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A little suggestion from left field- you wouldn't happen to know someone with a tracking dog? Tort don't have sweat glands like us stinky humans but do have enough of a scent a dog could track. Maybe the local PD has tracker that wouldn't mind a little unusual training? Good Luck
OMG! This won't help Curtis at all...but I had forgotten one time when Bob escaped my neighbor used his mini Australian Shepherd and she found Bob 2 blocks away....funny I had forgotten......not a tracking dog but we showed her his house she, smelled and then it was let's go Penny and it took her less then an hour to find him. But she IS extra smart

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The only thing about using neighborhood kids is that I don’t really have neighbors, I don’t know any of the kids in the neighborhood in front of the busy road in front of our house, and we have copperhead snakes that my dad is crazy paranoid about. I don’t think that’s really an option, though I may be able to round up some of my friends from school if they’re willing to travel 30-40 minutes to my house (I live a city away from my school). It’s sunny today, even if it is cold, so hopefully I can get home before dark to look.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The only thing about using neighborhood kids is that I don’t really have neighbors, I don’t know any of the kids in the neighborhood in front of the busy road in front of our house, and we have copperhead snakes that my dad is crazy paranoid about. I don’t think that’s really an option, though I may be able to round up some of my friends from school if they’re willing to travel 30-40 minutes to my house (I live a city away from my school). It’s sunny today, even if it is cold, so hopefully I can get home before dark to look.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I think this is a fear we all have...