Current "Closed Chamber" Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I recently decided to make some improvements to my current "closed chamber" because I wasn't entirely satisfied as I thought I would be with how it functioned after a month of using it. I have been using an Aqueon 55 gal aquarium since August 7 and have been working on blueprints for a closed chamber similar to Tom's for Mickey, but in the meantime here are the improvements I've made. I changed the type of wood that was being used to hold my heat and lighting fixtures to Melamine, instead of Plywood to help retain humidity better. I removed the humidifier and the Zoo Med HygroTherm because the humidity levels were consistently staying above what I programed the HygroTherm to be set at and it kept getting "E1" malfunction errors. I continued using the Exo-Terra Monsoon RS400 High-pressure Misting System and set it to turn on 7 times a day total. It turns on every 2 hours for 16 second intervals for 14 hours a day and then completely shuts off when the lights go out. The thermostat I'm now using is a Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats set to 85 degrees, it's very simple to use and works better than Zoomed's HygroTherm in my personal opinion. I changed the substrate to fine grade Orchid Bark, which has been working great for keeping consistent humidity levels to my own desire. I also changed out the Zoo Med PowerSun UV 100W to a GE Reveal incandescent 100W because temperatures would sometimes reach up to 120 degrees on the "hot spots" and constantly kept reducing humidity levels day after day. I have also learned it was useless, given my tortoises spend 2-3 hours outside and I already use an 18" ReptiSun 10.0. Here are some pictures of the improved "closed chamber" and a growth comparison of Mio and Mickey since upon living in it.

iqq0.jpg

wgyi.jpg

l8ol.jpg

7te0.jpg

itm3.jpg

be5x.jpg

3vdj.jpg

ax72.jpg

tb1c.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING! :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look great. Are you building the new enclosure for housing just one of the leopards? Asking because the 55 is looking a little small for the two of them now.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Barb! I'm working on it now, it's going to be 4'x4'x2' closed chamber with a sliding window door. It'll house just one of the two. Depending on the who's growing faster, at the moment Mickey is.
wellington said:
They look great. Are you building the new enclosure for housing just one of the leopards? Asking because the 55 is looking a little small for the two of them now.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thought I'd post a picture of nighttime temperatures and humidity levels.

"Hot Spot" - 85 degrees/84%+ humidity
"Warm End/Ambient" - 86 degrees/96%+ humidity

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379487501.635237.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.