Curious about temps during shipping?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I’m doing some research on the shipping temperatures. Mainly doing this to know whether it’s safe to ship a fertile egg that’s is days away from hatching during the cold months. Im shipping a Bluetooth thermometer called Govee along with a cherry head hatchling tortoise and a heat pack tonight. When the customer gets his tortoise tomorrow, he will use the prepaid shipping label to ship back the Govee without the heat pack. I will then be able to download the data to see what the temperature and humidity did. Today and tomorrow’s high and lows for both locations are in the low 50’s and 40’s, respectively. I’m using a 40 hour heat pack and a 7x7x6 box. My hypothesis is that the inside of the box will flirt between 75-85 degrees. If anyone wants to be part of this data collection, feel free to email me. [email protected].

IMG_5406.jpgIMG_5407.jpgIMG_5408.jpgIMG_5400.jpgIMG_5402.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is fantastic. Email sent if you want to check twmpa to Chicago.
Next you need to do tiny camera.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please post the results. I've been planning on shipping a free $10 thermometer that records highs and lows with the next tortoise I ship. I think your way will offer a lot more insight.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would gladly help in any way if you want to send one when my egg comes in 2 weeks.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Please post your results! I love experiments like this. I think it would also be very interesting to know what kind of G-forces packages are subjected to, though the instruments for reading this are a bit more expensive. The cheapest one I found was this one:
https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1238-gt-50.aspx And I'm also not sure if this model even logs the data for future viewing.

Good luck!

shellfreak

10 Year Member!

That’s an unboxing link...

The CH arrived safe and sound. The temp was 86F and 60% humidity. Perfect temp for an egg to travel in and not get too disrupted. I’m anxious to get the Govee back and download the data to see what the temps did over night.