Curious about indian states that the star is native to

Kriti

Location (City and/or State)
India
Hi . Can anyone please tell me which states in india does a star belong to . I could not find this information anywhere and I believe knowing that will help us to take better care of our torts.Thanks.

Kriti

India
Hello . ?? Do you mean to say its found all over india ? .India has 28 states and 9 union territories with widely varying environmental conditions. So I thought that it might be found in specific states of India.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello . ?? Do you mean to say its found all over india ? .India has 28 states and 9 union territories with widely varying environmental conditions. So I thought that it might be found in specific states of India.
Here is a quote regarding the range of the Indian Star Tortoise from Ernst and Barbour's Turtles of the World, a very well respected book on chelonians:

"Distribution: The star tortoise ranges in peninsular India from Orissa in the east and Sind and Kutch in the west southward to the tip (Minton, 1966). It also occurs in Sri Lanka, and on other small offshore islands where its only fresh water comes from the monsoons."

So going by this, the Star Tortoise occurs in the southern portion of India. I am not overly familiar with the names of all the states in India, but if you have that knowledge, I am sure you can figure it out. Or just pick whatever state is the nearest to Sri Lanka and you'll be safe.

I think Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu are all within the range of the Indian Star Tortoise.

Kriti

India
Here is a quote regarding the range of the Indian Star Tortoise from Ernst and Barbour's Turtles of the World, a very well respected book on chelonians:

"Distribution: The star tortoise ranges in peninsular India from Orissa in the east and Sind and Kutch in the west southward to the tip (Minton, 1966). It also occurs in Sri Lanka, and on other small offshore islands where its only fresh water comes from the monsoons."

So going by this, the Star Tortoise occurs in the southern portion of India. I am not overly familiar with the names of all the states in India, but if you have that knowledge, I am sure you can figure it out. Or just pick whatever state is the nearest to Sri Lanka and you'll be safe.

I think Karnataka, Andrha, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu are all within the range of the Indian Star Tortoise.
Thanks a lot . This was really helpful. ??

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks a lot . This was really helpful. ??
You are welcome. Did you notice the name of one state was a bit off in my original post? It should have said Andrha Pradesh.

Good luck with your tortoises.

Kriti

India
It should have said andhra pradesh but pradesh means region or area , so it's often called as just andhra . So I hadn't noticed . ??

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Hi . Can anyone please tell me which states in india does a star belong to . I could not find this information anywhere and I believe knowing that will help us to take better care of our torts.Thanks.

Mostly in the Southern states of India. Remember these are land dwelling torts. To the best of my knowledge, they do not hibernate. So, if you take them to J&K, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and the similar Himalayan ranges, you'd be asking for trouble for them.

Kriti

India
Yes , I understand . How about on the high side of temprature range ? Tempratures in kutch reach 45 degree Celsius in peak summers . can stars survive these temps ? Thanks for the help.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Perhaps this will help. This is a most current status of their ranges as found today.

Although all considered one species with no subspecies, there are population differences throughout the range. The ones from Sri Lanka are considered distinct and tend to be a bit larger than the mainland ones. However on both sides of India there are very large Indian stars that are found on the northern extremes of both sides of India.

Indian Star current range.jpg

Kriti

India
Perhaps this will help. This is a most current status of their ranges as found today.

Although all considered one species with no subspecies, there are population differences throughout the range. The ones from Sri Lanka are considered distinct and tend to be a bit larger than the mainland ones. However on both sides of India there are very large Indian stars that are found on the northern extremes of both sides of India.

View attachment 297675
That was really helpful . Thanks a lot !

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Yes , I understand . How about on the high side of temprature range ? Tempratures in kutch reach 45 degree Celsius in peak summers . can stars survive these temps ? Thanks for the help.

As long as you give them an environment close to their natural habitat.

An example: Many people put their stars in an apartment balcony with good sunlight. They make an assumption is that the torts will bask in the sun and that they are doing a good thing. Well, in this case, you are killing them. Balconies' flooring are usually with tiles. And with bright sunlight, that can go very very hot.

So.... emulate a natural habitat for your star, whatever the cost may be. Otherwise, you're getting them slow wick. If any people fall in the example above, put some 1-2 inch platsic trays filled with soil. Also put a tray with some water. Ensure that the soil on the tray has grown some grass on it. Add some plants to provide shade and hiding space for them.

The list can go on and on. One needs to observe them and figure out what they are inclining to. Even these animals have personalities.

Kriti

India
This is so true . Thankfully I finally have all of the things that u mentioned . Mine has an amazing personality . She is curious as hell and I just love her . Thanks to u guys at tfo , she is happy in her new home .