Cuora Trifasciata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Hi,
I was offered a Chinese three stripped golden coin tortoise (Cuora Trifasciata) by a relative which have had this tortoise for generations. Should I take it, i don't even know what it really is, all i know is that it is some kind of box turtle...are they hard to care for?

Thanks

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks
So is it a good idea to take it if i have all the required aspects, i live in China. And i don't want to buy any smuggled or non captive bread animals.

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
If he had it for generations it's likely a WC individual. If you have any endangered species that aren't CB, breed them. No sense in taking an animal out of the wild to add to the plight of the species.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks,
I'm
Not sure if it is WC or CB. I think it might have been given to them from the local government or smt. Not sure. Are these turtles rare? Or why do I never see these for sale...
Thanks

tortoises101 said:
If he had it for generations it's likely a WC individual. If you have any endangered species that aren't CB, breed them. No sense in taking an animal out of the wild to add to the plight of the species.

How can I breed them...I only have one. I heard they are expensive.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
Thanks,
I'm
Not sure if it is WC or CB. I think it might have been given to them from the local government or smt. Not sure. Are these turtles rare? Or why do I never see these for sale...
Thanks

tortoises101 said:

How can I breed them...I only have one. I heard they are expensive.

What part of China are you in? There's a farm for Cuora trifasciata in Guangdong province that have about 5000 breeding adults there. They do sell hatchlings, juvies, and adults to food markets. If you go to food markets (as much as I hate them) you could maybe find one there.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
curora genus is one of the most endangered. my experience is limited with them though, wish i could offer more.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I'm in Beijing but I wouldn't
Mind going to guang dong. But aren't these turtles critically endangered? Why would they be on the market for food? Do you know how much a juvenile will cost? Is there a website where you found this information?

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
I'm in Beijing but I wouldn't
Mind going to guang dong. But aren't these turtles critically endangered? Why would they be on the market for food? Do you know how much a juvenile will cost? Is there a website where you found this information?

Thanks

A turtle conservationist on another forum shared his experience going to China with me, and that's where I found out about the turtle farm in Guangdong. Being of a Chinese background, Cuora trifasciata carry around with them a bullsh*t claim that their shells cure cancer. In places like Vietnam, a hatchling trifasciata could be traded for a buffalo while an adult could sell for the price of a house. The turtle farm breeds them to supply the food market with CB animals instead of animals captured from the wild (a conservation move, more or less). I don't know about the costs of juveniles, but are you spending renmenbi or US dollars? In US dollars, a farm raised trifasciata would be worth $1800. Yes, I know, it is a huge price to pay, and I understand the economy. I take back what I said before about breeding, since $1800 is a large investment.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I will have to ask my parents, but i can't transport the turtle from one province to another :p
Any other ideas?
I saw a cuora trifasciata up for sale...it was like over 3,000 dollars
are there different sub species?
I know there are the normal one 金钱龟 and the 君山金钱龟or smt

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
I will have to ask my parents, but i can't transport the turtle from one province to another :p
Any other ideas?
I saw a cuora trifasciata up for sale...it was like over 3,000 dollars
are there different sub species?
I know there are the normal one 金钱龟 and the 君山金钱龟or smt

Those are turtles of different localities (aka geographic regions). Subspecies are when there are 2 different turtles with distinct dissimilarities but physiology and biology can still be traced to one species. Different localities of a species won't cut it for a subspecies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
We need a marketing campaign to say their shells and meat CAUSE cancer.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
fbsmith3 said:

Definitely. 2 thumbs up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.