Cuora mouhotii obsti

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
What a beauty. I love this species and have had them for years. I don't have any now but am on a waiting list for a hatchling. What do you feed yours?

PJay

Greater D.C. metro area
What a beauty. I love this species and have had them for years. I don't have any now but am on a waiting list for a hatchling. What do you feed yours?
The base diet for Keeled Box Turtles is Omega One Adult Turtle Sticks, but I also blend in Mazuri Aquatic Turtle Diet sometimes. Other additives to the Omega One include scrambled or boiled eggs with the crushed shell, chopped dandelion greens or spring mix without spinach. I also offer various berries from the store or whatever is in season in the backyard (mulberries, blackberries, wine berries, wild strawberries), and occasionally butternut squash, cantaloupe, a little banana, pineapple or mango. Live earthworms are relished and live or dried black soldier fly larvae and frozen/thawed pinky mice and shrimp are also a hit. My North American box turtles beg for horn worms but the obsti aren't interested. I've thought about adding live snails to their diet but still looking for a good candidate species for home culture.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
How do you house your adults? I have large outdoor enclosures for them outside in the shade with spotted sunshine. Inside I keep them in 50 gallon rubbermaid troughs singularly when I have them. My hatchling will start out in a smaller container with spagnum moss as a substrate. I know they like it moist and wet even.

PJay

Greater D.C. metro area
I have a juvenile group of captive bred 1-4 year olds. Older juveniles are kept individually in outdoor mostly shady quarters with a wet substrate mix of backyard soil, coco coir, peat and sphagnum moss when the weather is warm and 50 gallon indoor plastic tubs when it gets cold. I keep very young turtles alone for several weeks in plastic shoe boxes with lids and moistened paper towels to maintain humidity while monitoring the quantity and quality of their outputs before moving to larger quarters with more natural substrate. The substrate has a population of spring tails to keep things tidy and earthworms and pill bugs for active hunting.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
thanks for your info. I have kept mine very similarly. I have 8' by 4' wire top wooden enclosures out side in the shade with speckles of sunlight for my adults. They have dirt and leaves for substrate, a water source and a wooden hide. Some wooden small branches for decoration and climbing.