CTTC foothill chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Whew - I think I made it through your post with some understanding of what you meant....

Tyler why don't you try putting the whole quote from me up and not just the part that you didn't like?

It makes no difference, it's the same thing. I left out the tail end of it because you stopped making sense in the second half of the sentence.

there are enough already out there

False. There is a huge demand for sulcata tortoises, much much much more than you realize or see.

And if you haven't been keeping up with Maggie and Bob then you don't know anything about her experiences with a 80 lbs plus Sulcata who's not full grown yet. So therefore why would you comment on anything about them? It's obvious to me that you haven't read her threads about him

I didn't bring Maggie up. You said Maggie has a hard time with Bob, and I said maybe she shouldn't have him, that was it. Some people aren't cut out for it. I don't know if Maggie is or not. As far as I know her and Bob had a fine relationship. You're the one that said she struggles or whatever the term was.

Now this is just a confusing sentence Tyler what is it that I'm guilty of? I don't sell Sulcatas. Oh and my property is 7400 square feet so yes I have plenty of area for my 7 inch Cherryhead, my 4 inch Cherryhead and my 3 inch Cherryhead.

So why should we all have 1 acre enclosures for a sulcata (which you said you agree with) when you have 7,400 SF for 3 cherryheads? Why should nobody that loves sulcatas have them when you are ok to have the species that you love? In most sulcata owner's opinions, they have plenty of room for their animals. Why are they all wrong and you're not?

How do you know what tortoises Yvonne takes in maybe she doesn't make public all the tortoises she takes in. I know that rescues don't want breeders to take Sulcatas so there for they're not going to be giving information out to the ones that they think are going to do this, have this ever crossed your mind?

It has, which is why I wasn't intending to look for a tortoise for myself, but for a friend of mine in CA (like I said) that wants a big male sulcata as a pet. I can't find him one, and I asked Yvonne, and she didn't have any either. I have since had a second friend in CA looking for one, and I am again unable to come up with one. It's fine with me if a rescue wants to keep some tortoises or hide them from me, but for the 400th time, there's no shortage of people looking for them.

SulcataRescue.com is on the way, and it won't be nearly as hard to adopt one from it
I am very glad to hear this as it will give Tom and you a different perspective on what rescues are all about. Well maybe it will to Tom since he's the one who's going to be running it.

Sweet, Tom and I are gonna be business partners? Can I be the VP? Then Tom can take the heat that it won't be a non-profit rescue. The bleeding hearts won't know how to handle that.

Problem is, it won't give a different perspective on running a sulcata rescue, because there won't likely be sulcatas in it.

Lastly, why am I the one being griped at? Why am I the one you kept "thinking about" during the rescue rant? I'm the least of your sulcata problems. I produce far less than many many people in the US. I don't discount for multiples. I sell my baby sulcatas at a higher price than anyone I know (which is supposed to be a good thing, right? Or does this make me money hungry?). My website has more information on it regarding the care of sulcatas than any other seller's site I've seen, both on the purchase page itself and also a long caresheet. I openly offer to take them back at any point in the future. My babies and adults are well kept, fat and happy. Is it just because I'm the only one that sells them that gets on here and defends the idea? Remind me why I'm the bad guy again?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Here's your Sulcata for your friend. Notice that it had gone to a good home and after 1 year they brought it back. I simply mentioned your name Tyler in my first post and you made it into an argument why are you asking me why your the bad guy? I was merely telling you what the rescue was explaining about Sulcatas and what makes for a happy one and you disagreed without even talking with her about her experience that is pretty closed minded. I know that you sell yours for more and no I don't know how many you sell how could I? Sulcatas are big creatures and have different needs then your regular tortoises that's all I'm saying. And talk a confusing question? First you say that she shouldn't have him and then you say you're not sure if she should or not.

I didn't bring Maggie up. You said Maggie has a hard time with Bob, and I said maybe she shouldn't have him, that was it. Some people aren't cut out for it. I don't know if Maggie is or not. As far as I know her and Bob had a fine relationship. You're the one that said she struggles or whatever the term was.

All I said was that he's a handful sometimes not that she shouldn't have him. Maggie loves Bob and if I'm correct he's a rescue also who is lucky that he found her. I would love for you to show me where I said that she struggles with him. Maybe you need to take a little more time to read the posts correctly before you respond out of anger. :D

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Sulcata-needs-awesome-home

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
I would love for you to show me where I said that she struggles with him. Maybe you need to take a little more time to read the posts correctly before you respond out of anger. :D

Candy said:
Maggie has a hard time with Bob and yes the stories are funny and cute, but he has caused some major damage to her yard and even hurt her

Yeah, I'm real angry. Again, it's a freakin tortoise forum. Not enough to get me angry, believe me.

Tyler, why dont you come down to a meeting?

If I thought there was something to gain by being there, I'd be there. I don't need to go sit and listen to someone tell me that a sulcata needs an acre to roam when they obviously don't, or that rescues are filled with them when nobody will allow me to take some off their hands. Thread is closed as far as I'm concerned. I've made my point, and it's way off topic by now. Sorry DMMJ, I was brought into it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortuga_terrestre said:
This thread isnt going to end. Tyler, why dont you come down to a meeting?

I'd like to come to a meeting.

They'll probably ask me to leave like they did when I asked to many "uncomfortable" questions in church, but I'll give it a shot.

I'd love to talk about the pyramiding thing too. We could have a very exiting night.

I'd apologize to David too, but I'm betting he's enjoying all this.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't censor my threads I enjoy lively discussion, I do not say only certain topics can be or not be discussed here. I wish tyler would come to one of our meetings but I know it is a long way to go for a one night meeting being in vegas and all.

tom you are welcome anytime

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know why any of you would use my name in a thread like this. None of you know me, none of you have ever met met me. Yes, I did have trouble with Bob escaping but I got a fence to keep him properly contained and he is fine. He has not ever done any "major" damage to my yard, he hurt me as I was sitting on the floor in his shed (my fault), yes, he bit me once thinking I had food in my hand (again my fault). I guess none of you have a big dog or a horse that has hurt them some. That goes along with having a large animal.

Here's something that obviously hasn't entered into your brains, my "Bob stories" are meant for entertainment. They are sometimes slightly exaggerated and always trying to be funny and make people laugh. They are an extension of MY personality, not his.

I don't have an acre of land for Bob and the 30 other tortoises and turtles I have, and I think that comment was taken out of context, I'm sure I meant that in a perfect world an acre would do it.

I am perfectly fit to care for Bob, probably more then most of you. When a person has a large growing animal like Bob there are certain things that need to be done to care for them correctly and they need to be contained safely. Bob was not. He is now and he is healthy and safe. I only have one hand that works yet I can muscle him around and move him where he needs to go. He lives in an expensive warm secure shed, not a dogloo like most of you have. He has graze and a safe yard to live in, most of you don't seem to have that, yet you all felt it was alright to criticize me and the way I keep Bob. Do any of you who are criticizing me have a sulcata the size of Bob? Do any of you who are criticizing me have experience in keeping a large tortoise like him? How dare you say maybe I shouldn't have Bob! You don't know me nor have any idea how he is kept or how he gets along with me.

I guess in order to keep any kind of a decent reputation there won't be any more "Bob stories".

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tom I would love to know if you go to one of the meetings or not. I would like to go too. This one was only my first and I've got to admit I really enjoyed the speaker as she was very diplomatic and gave (what I think) was very good insight into her rescues and what her and a few others have gone through trying to save some of these animals. I'm not sure if she's 100% correct or not, but to me that's not the point. The point is that there's people out there that give their time and parts of their lives to educate people and I feel that at least I can do is listen to what they have to say. Let us know if you plan on going to one I would love to meet you. :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It seems to me like you just want him to show up so he can say his views on sulc and then get yelled at for the next couple of hours.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
I don't know why any of you would use my name in a thread like this. None of you know me, none of you have ever met met me. Yes, I did have trouble with Bob escaping but I got a fence to keep him properly contained and he is fine. He has not ever done any "major" damage to my yard, he hurt me as I was sitting on the floor in his shed (my fault), yes, he bit me once thinking I had food in my hand (again my fault). I guess none of you have a big dog or a horse that has hurt them some. That goes along with having a large animal.

Here's something that obviously hasn't entered into your brains, my "Bob stories" are meant for entertainment. They are sometimes slightly exaggerated and always trying to be funny and make people laugh. They are an extension of MY personality, not his.

I don't have an acre of land for Bob and the 30 other tortoises and turtles I have, and I think that comment was taken out of context, I'm sure I meant that in a perfect world an acre would do it.

I am perfectly fit to care for Bob, probably more then most of you. When a person has a large growing animal like Bob there are certain things that need to be done to care for them correctly and they need to be contained safely. Bob was not. He is now and he is healthy and safe. I only have one hand that works yet I can muscle him around and move him where he needs to go. He lives in an expensive warm secure shed, not a dogloo like most of you have. He has graze and a safe yard to live in, most of you don't seem to have that, yet you all felt it was alright to criticize me and the way I keep Bob. Do any of you who are criticizing me have a sulcata the size of Bob? Do any of you who are criticizing me have experience in keeping a large tortoise like him? How dare you say maybe I shouldn't have Bob! You don't know me nor have any idea how he is kept or how he gets along with me.

I guess in order to keep any kind of a decent reputation there won't be any more "Bob stories".

Maggie...I think EVERYONE knows you are more than capable of taking care of Bob...but I'll offer (again) to take him off your hands and tool him around town in an IROC!;D Don't let people get to you!

Hey David...

Does Diane Huwaldt still run the Foothill chapter...I went to elementary school with her...Hey Tom! You wanna hit up one of these meetings...let's carpool to the next one...are they all at the arboretum?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, Dean carpooling sounds great. I'm not sure of the location. I think its out in Arcadia of the 210.

I'll look it up.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
yes she does this is the last year for awhile she wants to be pres, so we will have a new one in a few months. It is the la arboretum in arcadia

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
dmmj said:
It seems to me like you just want him to show up so he can say his views on sulc and then get yelled at for the next couple of hours.

Not at all Dmmj. That is not why I asked him to come at all. Your speaker (I forgot her name) was very good and I can't imagine her yelling at anyone even if their opinion is different then hers. After listening to her speak and discussing it on here with Tyler and Tom I can see why they would think 1 acre is somewhat too much and why they would question that amount of space. I also understand why the lady was saying that, to her and a lot of others this accounts for the quality of their life and if you have that much land then it would be wonderful for them. I like to hear both side to most things and then I decide where to go from there. I can't see Tom as the kind of person who's just going to go to prove his side alone. I think he'd be interested in why things are suggested and that maybe he'd like to discuss them a bit more. That's the only reason. I'm right aren't I Tom? :( Because in no way was I asking for anyone to go ruin the meeting with arguments. This was my first meeting and the people there seemed very nice. I just loved listening to the information that she was giving us not only about Sulcatas but about RES and the 10,000 that she had rescued. That was a very sad story. She also was talking about DT's and I was very interested in that. I just wish she would have talked more about them.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
her name is Diane and she often talks about CDT's

M

Maggie Cummings

DeanS said:
maggie3fan said:

Maggie...I think EVERYONE knows you are more than capable of taking care of Bob...but I'll offer (again) to take him off your hands and tool him around town in an IROC!;D Don't let people get to you!

Thank you for the offer but Bob is not available for sale or adoption. He is happy and healthy right here and it's already in my will for him to go to a friend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Candy said:
dmmj said:

Not at all Dmmj. That is not why I asked him to come at all. Your speaker (I forgot her name) was very good and I can't imagine her yelling at anyone even if their opinion is different then hers. After listening to her speak and discussing it on here with Tyler and Tom I can see why they would think 1 acre is somewhat too much and why they would question that amount of space. I also understand why the lady was saying that, to her and a lot of others this accounts for the quality of their life and if you have that much land then it would be wonderful for them. I like to hear both side to most things and then I decide where to go from there. I can't see Tom as the kind of person who's just going to go to prove his side alone. I think he'd be interested in why things are suggested and that maybe he'd like to discuss them a bit more. That's the only reason. I'm right aren't I Tom? :( Because in no way was I asking for anyone to go ruin the meeting with arguments. This was my first meeting and the people there seemed very nice. I just loved listening to the information that she was giving us not only about Sulcatas but about RES and the 10,000 that she had rescued. That was a very sad story. She also was talking about DT's and I was very interested in that. I just wish she would have talked more about them.

Yes Candy, you are right. I would be attending as an invited guest, not as an opinionated loud mouth who wants to make a scene. If someone wants to know my opinion, I'd happily share it, but I won't be jumping up and ranting and raving in the middle of the meeting. I'll be going to learn, not teach.

In your previous posts, I perceived you as telling us how things are and what sulcatas need and what the state of sulcata population is. The above paragraph sounds much more open-minded and reasonable. I'd love it if you and the hubby would come up to see my place and talk torts. I had another notable guest this weekend and she seemed to really enjoy it up here.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tom I'm sorry I haven't responded to this I haven't spent much time on here in the past few days due to the kids and my husband starting back to school. Seems I work harder at home then I do at work. :D I so hope that I can make it to the next meeting and I hope that I see you and Dean there. Hopefully Walter will also be there like he was the last time. I just saw Maggie's post about your ranch and it looks very, very big and wonderful. Thank you for inviting us to see it. Right now I'm going to ask if I could have a rain check. We have too many things on our schedule this month, but if I could possible come later I would love it and I know the boys would love it. Thanks again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.