Cruelty beyond words... please adopt him in California!

Happytort27

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Poor thing! ? His face is so sweet. But unfortunately, this is how the world is at the moment, and I can’t even imagine how many animals get injured or abused every day. I pray that Michelangelo recovers quickly and will continue to live a long and healthy life.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't think that mental illness or even being developmentally disabled is an excuse for such cruelty to another animal or person. Most of them aren't. This person should be locked up if he can't control himself. What if the animal he decides to hurt next time is a child? He evidently has a really bad problem with helpless animals. That's just my opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just want to add - this is just in the news because it was a preschool and having a big tortoise stabbed is pretty rare. Thousands of dogs, cats, and even my profile picture (chinchillas) are killed everyday for fun or for profit. It's awful what humans will do for money and for enjoyment.

Unfortunately, animal cruelty is like overpopulation. It's not very controllable. We can however make sure that we don't buy pets from places like puppy mills. (Yes petco, I'm talking about you).

Make sure to be very careful about where you sell or buy pets. You might just very well save a life from abuse and despair.
If they would impose the death penalty on these kinds of scum bags, animal cruelty would probably disappear.

nicoleann2214

NY

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
The guy who did this was arrested on Friday with two felony charges got out on Monday and came back with a brick, pulled the blankets out of the tortoises home and was searching for the poor thing. The man ended up back in custody that day.
This person don't need an evaluation, he needs to stay in jail so someone can insert a broomstick where the sun don't shine so deep he can taste it.

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
I don't think that mental illness or even being developmentally disabled is an excuse for such cruelty to another animal or person. Most of them aren't. This person should be locked up if he can't control himself. What if the animal he decides to hurt next time is a child? He evidently has a really bad problem with helpless animals. That's just my opinion.
If you read my post. In no way did I excuse the behavior. I said he should be locked up. I don't know if you read Old Yeller, but tl:dr the boy has to put down his loyal pet dog because he had rabies and was going to kill the boy. Yeller wasn't a villain or evil. A disease was.

I won't comment on this man's moral compulsion because I don't have enough information on him. But the events described are very compulsive in nature. He needs to be removed from public society immediately both for the reasons as you list and his own personal well being.

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
If they would impose the death penalty on these kinds of scum bags, animal cruelty would probably disappear.
Except it wouldn't. For the same reasons the death penalty doesn't make murder disappear. That's all I am gunna say here. I don't know why I clicked in this thread. My heart goes out for tortoises everywhere. I hope this tort recovers and lives a long long life.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
This person don't need an evaluation, he needs to stay in jail so someone can insert a broomstick where the sun don't shine so deep he can taste it.
I agree, I have serous mental health problems (I’m on a whole lot of medication and have been since I was a child) and you don’t see me hurting animals... he should be on meds or be institutionalized. And no matter his mental health he should have to go to jail because he committed a serious crime. I’m tired of people saying it’s because of mental health issues, that’s a cop out, if he’s that messed up he should be in a ward for the populations safety. This is horrible.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I wish I was closer to take him in but I am a hood 8 hours away my question it how did this guy manage to stick a broom stick into the shell I have seen the hit by cars and live with less damage was the tortoise suffering from some condition like mud that made its shell soft it is just hard to believe with my experience with turtles and tortoises that this is even possible I am not in any way sticking up for the guy who did this I am just in shock

BirdHerder

Walla Walla, WA
Last summer a couple of kids (teenagers) broke in to my aviary and violently killed a dozen birds (ripped their heads off). They both got slaps on the wrist and will probably move on to even worse offenses in the future. Some people are just sick and our society does not do a good job at dealing with those individuals.

mary kay

5 Year Member
I live a half mile from where this happened and was horrified. But I also looked up information regarding the pre-school.
Check out their facebook page. It shows children sitting on him like he is a foot stool. Also shows very young children feeding him lettuce. I have had my Curry accidentally bite my finger when I wasn't paying attention and giving him some apple and he took a chunk out of my finger. The daycare's tortoise could easily take off a small child's finger. They got him from a rescue. They don't seem to have any idea what to feed him. And I doubt they have heating for him in his "log cabin" so I really hope they DON'T get him back. He isn't a toy.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Last July my security camera caught a man beating a dog to death with an aluminum baseball bat. Copy was giving to the police, but no charges were served. I checked up on the case and was told that the dog was sick and may have needed to be put down, but you Don't do it with a baseball bat to the head.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Really? So even tho we have a death penalty for people, people are killed at an alarming rate. You and I have seen this kind of cruelty before. I think the whole thing needs to start in childhood. My kids had all kinds of pets, and it taught them consideration and compassion. Today's kids are lost in electronic crap. If they get a dog or cat (let's say) the kid plays with the animal, sometimes. But parents feed it, walk it etc. In my case, I got all kinds of animals that I wanted and made the kids take care of them...lol I think most kids today don't know how to converse to strangers, and are just freakin irritating. I'm gonna go work on my Sulcata pens and see if I can
get rid of the moss.?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I live a half mile from where this happened and was horrified. But I also looked up information regarding the pre-school.
Check out their facebook page. It shows children sitting on him like he is a foot stool. Also shows very young children feeding him lettuce. I have had my Curry accidentally bite my finger when I wasn't paying attention and giving him some apple and he took a chunk out of my finger. The daycare's tortoise could easily take off a small child's finger. They got him from a rescue. They don't seem to have any idea what to feed him. And I doubt they have heating for him in his "log cabin" so I really hope they DON'T get him back. He isn't a toy.

I hope someone who knows how to take care of a tortoise adopts him..

Jan A

Boulder, CO
The individual was arrested and is mentally ill. We should all have our hearts out for this poor tort. However, mental illness is a serious issue especially in areas like SF were the homeless population is largely swept aside and unaided. As a person who struggles with PTSD and Trauma we should be careful not to characterize mental illness as "evil" the man is clearly sick and unwell. We wouldn't call a wolf with rabies evil if it bit another animal. I am not directing this at you but just raising awareness that mental illness is a serious issue. What happened was horrible and thank goodness the man was arrested.
And
I hope someone who knows how to take care of a tortoise adopts him..
Shirley, authorities won't let the school get him back. Why should a tort have to work for a living while people don't?

Is his shell even going to have the same strength he had before the attack? I have no idea how wounds like this heal. My heart is not going to heal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really? So even tho we have a death penalty for people, people are killed at an alarming rate. You and I have seen this kind of cruelty before. I think the whole thing needs to start in childhood. My kids had all kinds of pets, and it taught them consideration and compassion. Today's kids are lost in electronic crap. If they get a dog or cat (let's say) the kid plays with the animal, sometimes. But parents feed it, walk it etc. In my case, I got all kinds of animals that I wanted and made the kids take care of them...lol I think most kids today don't know how to converse to strangers, and are just freakin irritating. I'm gonna go work on my Sulcata pens and see if I can
get rid of the moss.?
Not enough death penalty states, only 28. Then they don't use it enough. Anyway, it would make me and a bunch of other animal lovers very happy to impose the death penalty. Just do it much quicker though, like within a year.