Crossbreeding?

Cream

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Definetly not ready for this venture be it viable, so this is simply curiously.

nows the time of year I get tons of eastern boxes in my yard. I’ve recently upgraded my three toed box’s enclosure and, due to all requirements I’ve read, can house ~3 full grown turtles.
I believe crossbreeding with turtles on the same side of the world (eastern/western) is possible. HYPOTHETICALLY- what chaos would ensue if I introduced an eastern to my female three toed?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
a three toed is subspecies of the eastern box turtle. That said, why would you want to? Genetically speaking, you would be muddying the waters of the 2 and in my opinion, destroying the beauty of the individual species/subspecies.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I personally believe one of the responsibilities that comes with keeping turtles and tortoises, is helping to protect the species. Turtles and tortoises are probably the most endangered Order of animals on the planet. 59% of the species of turtles and tortoise in the world are listed as Threatened. That status means either critically endangered, endangered, or vulnerable as their listed status in the wild. Well over 1/2 are in trouble and its getting worse, not better.

In protecting a species it become particularly hard when there are difficulties in even finding pure examples of that species. Hybridizing can cause a species to disappear. If we look at our leopard tortoises in the US, for the most part, we really don't know what clade or possible subspecies we have as most have be interbred randomly since imports stopped. As with many Greek tortoises. Certainly the case with the Galapagos tortoises that exist both on the islands and the ones that exist in captivity. Very difficult to find examples of many species.

It sounds innocuous for one example with one currently common turtle. But how many innocent occassions like this will repeat and have been repeated? With tortoises and turtles disappearing from the wild and their habitats being destroyed, it may well be captive populations that are the surviving examples.

I vote keep species distinct and protect the genetic integrity of what we have whenever we have the opportunity.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
People cross-dilute box turtles all the time. To me, the results are unremarkable (just as they are when people cross-dilute dog breeds so that they can sell "designer" mutts...unattractive appearance/unfit physiological conformation, immune defects, etc.).

Captive breeding programs should be intentional, not opportunistic: specific individuals with desirable qualities paired with animals that have complementary qualities making a more vigorous population that will have the best chance of out-lasting all the planetary damage we contribute to ordinary entropy/system decay.

And removing a viable male from a thriving wild population seems ill advised.

If your females are genuinely healthy, delightful representatives of triunguis, find an equally delightful, healthy triunguis male.

/2cents