CRITICAL REDFOOT RESCUE...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That sounds like a good name. The reason I asked is because you have posted before that you don't care to name them. Because you don't tend to keep them. This one sounds like a keeper. :):tort:
Everyone in my herd now I intend to keep with the exception of this new one.
I intend to get this little tortoise able to live, eat, etc on it's own. Then maybe find a forever home.
I can't say for sure that I'll keep this new one or not. But I'll certainly have him or her for a while at any rate.

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
Hi! Just wanted to chime in and say I wish you the very best on your little Red Foot rescue! A couple of thoughts for you as a caregiver myself of a rescued, once sick, red foot and another tortoise raised from hatchling. First, I think getting an exotic tortoise Vet is crucial. I know you mentioned there is not much they could do right now, I respectfully disagree. I think x-rays could reveal the nature of the head damage and/or fore mentioned supposed clef palette, be it caused by a birth defect or external damage. It could also explain my biggest concern, which you described as limited jaw movement/opening “slit opening and possible neurological damage” affecting it’s ability to eat or see. My concern from what you have described is it’s inability to open it’s mouth to a full range of motion. Perhaps it’s unable to open it’s mouth or is in pain from nerve damage/bone damage of it’s skull and malnourished as a result of an inability to eat properly. Many people conclude that nerve damage is painless “nerves are damaged so you can’t feel”, while nerve damage can cause some deadening of specific areas, it can also cause excruciating pain too. Tortoises don’t have teeth but do have bony ridges with gums and do chew to some extent. Range of jaw motion is imperative. Tortoises that can’t eat or aren’t fed enough can suffer Very severe stunted growth and internal health. It really can make what should be a juvenile tortoise look like a baby. For the time being you could consider using a chopper or even blender to really reduce the size of the food in your photos. Perhaps try some fragrant foods to entice it to eat in separate piles, ie diced, very, finely or even mashed into a baby food consistency strawberries, blackberries, cucumbers, dark leafy greens and even some fish like tuna or cooked salmon. Use all these and more to add a variety of nutrients. You could even try a whole live (live stimulates the prey instinct) snail, slug, earthworm or mealworm. Red foots eat a lot of greens but do in the wild eat also some protein and even carrion. Of course, i don’t recommend looking for road kill! Ha! For the most part they need a lot of leafy greens (in your case ground up) and occasional fruits and protein. Right now yours just needs to eat a lot of what ever it likes! My thinking is it is extremely under nourished due to an inability to eat correctly, be it from a deformed/injured jaw or as you mentioned possible clef pallet. Either can absolutely severely stunt it’s growth and it’s ability to survive. For my red foot i also use Zoo Meds’ forest tortoise food in conjunction with fresh foods. I always drop water on the pellets to create a mash for mine. It is composed of mostly grasses. Also, something to consider is that tortoises kept captive often grow extended beaks which need trimming. This also affects the ability to open their mouth widely and with yours, watching that sounds like it would be imperative. A vet can trim if needed. I think if I were i you i would definitely have a Vet asses your tort’s injuries/birth defects and see if it is a manageable situation or if your tort is really in a lot of pain and suffering. I hope not, but we can’t always see suffering in animals so more info is needed. It is clear to me as i read your posts that unfortunately, only a bit/bite of a pea or cactus and some carrot water for hydration/eyes will not sustain it. It should be eating heartily. I do Really applaud everything your trying but think you really need a doc’s assessment. On the eyes..you mentioned recessed and not opening which can be caused by dehydration or being very under weight but also just to to let you know since there could be neurological issues...
if he can’t fully shut them that is a problem too because the eyes dry out causing cornea damage and that is also a very painful condition affecting long term vision, so look out for that. There are thick animal safe lubricants that can be administered to the eyes directed by your Vet that add a protective coating to the eyes. Some may be sold over the counter, but you really need a Vet’s approval as human safe and animal safe meds are often not the same. Even a phone call to an Exotic Vet could be worth some advice. Much Success to You! Hope this helps! My heart is with you!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi! Just wanted to chime in and say I wish you the very best on your little Red Foot rescue! A couple of thoughts for you as a caregiver myself of a rescued, once sick, red foot and another tortoise raised from hatchling. First, I think getting an exotic tortoise Vet is crucial. I know you mentioned there is not much they could do right now, I respectfully disagree. I think x-rays could reveal the nature of the head damage and/or fore mentioned supposed clef palette, be it caused by a birth defect or external damage. It could also explain my biggest concern, which you described as limited jaw movement/opening “slit opening and possible neurological damage” affecting it’s ability to eat or see. My concern from what you have described is it’s inability to open it’s mouth to a full range of motion. Perhaps it’s unable to open it’s mouth or is in pain from nerve damage/bone damage of it’s skull and malnourished as a result of an inability to eat properly. Many people conclude that nerve damage is painless “nerves are damaged so you can’t feel”, while nerve damage can cause some deadening of specific areas, it can also cause excruciating pain too. Tortoises don’t have teeth but do have bony ridges with gums and do chew to some extent. Range of jaw motion is imperative. Tortoises that can’t eat or aren’t fed enough can suffer Very severe stunted growth and internal health. It really can make what should be a juvenile tortoise look like a baby. For the time being you could consider using a chopper or even blender to really reduce the size of the food in your photos. Perhaps try some fragrant foods to entice it to eat in separate piles, ie diced, very, finely or even mashed into a baby food consistency strawberries, blackberries, cucumbers, dark leafy greens and even some fish like tuna or cooked salmon. Use all these and more to add a variety of nutrients. You could even try a whole live (live stimulates the prey instinct) snail, slug, earthworm or mealworm. Red foots eat a lot of greens but do in the wild eat also some protein and even carrion. Of course, i don’t recommend looking for road kill! Ha! For the most part they need a lot of leafy greens (in your case ground up) and occasional fruits and protein. Right now yours just needs to eat a lot of what ever it likes! My thinking is it is extremely under nourished due to an inability to eat correctly, be it from a deformed/injured jaw or as you mentioned possible clef pallet. Either can absolutely severely stunt it’s growth and it’s ability to survive. For my red foot i also use Zoo Meds’ forest tortoise food in conjunction with fresh foods. I always drop water on the pellets to create a mash for mine. It is composed of mostly grasses. Also, something to consider is that tortoises kept captive often grow extended beaks which need trimming. This also affects the ability to open their mouth widely and with yours, watching that sounds like it would be imperative. A vet can trim if needed. I think if I were i you i would definitely have a Vet asses your tort’s injuries/birth defects and see if it is a manageable situation or if your tort is really in a lot of pain and suffering. I hope not, but we can’t always see suffering in animals so more info is needed. It is clear to me as i read your posts that unfortunately, only a bit/bite of a pea or cactus and some carrot water for hydration/eyes will not sustain it. It should be eating heartily. I do Really applaud everything your trying but think you really need a doc’s assessment. On the eyes..you mentioned recessed and not opening which can be caused by dehydration or being very under weight but also just to to let you know since there could be neurological issues...
if he can’t fully shut them that is a problem too because the eyes dry out causing cornea damage and that is also a very painful condition affecting long term vision, so look out for that. There are thick animal safe lubricants that can be administered to the eyes directed by your Vet that add a protective coating to the eyes. Some may be sold over the counter, but you really need a Vet’s approval as human safe and animal safe meds are often not the same. Even a phone call to an Exotic Vet could be worth some advice. Much Success to You! Hope this helps! My heart is with you!!!
Right now he seems to be doing very well, considering.
His mouth seems almost normal now as does one eye since I was able to get a few layers of old skin off of his head.
Today he ate some banana without any assistance from me.
When he bites, his head does go to the right and if there is no food there, he bites his on leg.
His warm water soaks are more of a pure baby food soak than they are water with baby food. So every gulp is actually very nutritious I would guess. That seems to be backed up by his poops.
He is SOO willing to eat.
Now he walks all over his enclosure and walks pretty well.
I've just had so many good, promising things happen in this small amount of time that I want to see how far I can go without going to the vet.
Hopefully I'm not being over confident.
I'm sure that at some point we'll be driving up to Hillsboro beach to see the good doctor.

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
Right now he seems to be doing very well, considering.
His mouth seems almost normal now as does one eye since I was able to get a few layers of old skin off of his head.
Today he ate some banana without any assistance from me.
When he bites, his head does go to the right and if there is no food there, he bites his on leg.
His warm water soaks are more of a pure baby food soak than they are water with baby food. So every gulp is actually very nutritious I would guess. That seems to be backed up by his poops.
He is SOO willing to eat.
Now he walks all over his enclosure and walks pretty well.
I've just had so many good, promising things happen in this small amount of time that I want to see how far I can go without going to the vet.
Hopefully I'm not being over confident.
I'm sure that at some point we'll be driving up to Hillsboro beach to see the good doctor.

Flora Belle's keeper

5 Year Member
North Georgia
Just a word of caution. Be careful as to the concentration of baby food per water. I would probably thin it to be sure is it only a drinking consistency. If too thick it could accidentally enter the lungs and become a cause for a secondary infection or pneumonia. The eating of the banana is a great thing! You doing an awesome job!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
He ate well again this evening.
He also bit the tip of my finger as I attempted to jam some blueberry in his mouth.
His mouth is opening pretty well and his bite has improved. He has a good enough bite to cut and RIP food.
He bites, pulls his head back and pushes his feet forward to help tear his food.
All like one would expect.
He also ate a few bites of some hibiscus flower petals that I dropped in to the enclosure.
No damage to my fingers.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Today I'm having issues with my left eye and the usual back issues. So I'm taking if easy and doing everything with one eye.
Out of laziness I dropped 3 hibiscus flower pedals and some Kale into the small aquarium housing the sickly tortoise.
Before I had time to come back and look....two of the pedals had vanished.
Now all of them and the Kale has disappeared.
I'm not too blind to see that he is eating.