Cricket layed eggs in my tank..... Babies everywhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Omg!!! About a month ago (I think a little more) I fed my 2 boxie's a bag full of 8 or so crickets, and one of them found some secret hiding spot and chirped away forEVER!!!! (For a week at least) finally, he stopped... Needless to say, I haven't bought any crickets since then. Well yesterday, I went to change their water, and noticed that there are tiny baby crickets jumping around in there!!! They are SO tiny, about the size of a grain of rice, and some even smaller!! I am suspicious that my female is nesting.... I don't know if she is really doing it yet, but it is only a matter of time. whenever she comes out, my male is on her like a fly on honey, so she is always burrowed under the subtrate, and rarely comes out. My male burrows a lot too but is much more active. I have a feeling that I need to clean the tank because there could be an infestation, it could get overwhelming... I do have a screen over it. And I do see it as food for them once the crickets get bigger too. But this won't stop... Is this healthy.... Clean? Has this happened to anyone..?
Thanks!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know the filling. I got a bag of them for my Pac man frog . They breed about two months ago and I have not had to buy any sense .
Witch is a good thing for me all I do is add cricket food and water from time to time and everybody is happy.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had an infestation too. Some how they kept getting out of my red eyed tree frogs cage. I too had free food for a very long, long, long time. Then we got a call from our second floor renters, they had crickets in their apartment, oops. We then also found them in the basement. I caught all I could and changed everything out and sprayed the basement. They were breeding and living in my leopard and Uromastyx enclosures.
On a different note. If you male is hounding your female into hiding all the time, I think it's time to separate them or build them a much, much larger enclosure. If she isn't able to eat, drink, bask without being hounded, she will get ill or die. Now, I am no expert on Boxies, but you could pm Yvonne or Jacqui and they could confirm if I am on or off the mark.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I had a similar situation, although in an outdoor CDT enclosure. They weren't crickets I had purchased, just outdoor grasshoppers who liked to hang around the water dish at dusk. Anyway, somebody laid eggs. I can't say that they did any harm. I did see my DTs noshing on the babies (which is unusual food for them, unlike your boxies). Of course I also have quite a few spiders in there, who have helped keep the population down.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Your sig says you have Oscars? I am not sure, but I bet Oscars would LOVE to feast on some baby crickets! Sift them out and have a fish buffet!

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
I am so worried about these little guys getting loose in my house!!! Thank god the screen has them contained.... But that is a good idea, I bet my oscars would love to munch on them! Lol!

Saleama said:
Your sig says you have Oscars? I am not sure, but I bet Oscars would LOVE to feast on some baby crickets! Sift them out and have a fish buffet!

nanoon

5 Year Member
Guys? U feed ur tortoises crickets? Really!?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TortForum mobile app

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
nanoon said:

I don't feed them, no. My torts live outside and their water dish attracts thirsty crickets and grasshoppers. I was shocked to see my tort eat one once.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
We are talking about my two box turtles on this thread.... I keep them in an indoor tank. My tortoise is outside in an enclosure built for him, and I doubt that he eats crickets, but you never know. :D

nanoon said:

Status
Not open for further replies.