Creeping Charlie

jayneaintagirl

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis
It's finally warm enough here that I'm letting my russian run around (under supervision) in the backyard. He's really into creeping charlie - should I trust him to know what's good for him?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
It's finally warm enough here that I'm letting my russian run around (under supervision) in the backyard. He's really into creeping charlie - should I trust him to know what's good for him?
Creeping Charlie contains some saponins, I wouldnt let him eat too much of it, a nibble here and there shouldn't be a problem. I read that it contains oils that irritaye the liver and kidneys, some sites say don't feed others say in moderation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple different plants called creeping charlie. It's best to look it up under the scientific name. This is one form of creeping charlie, also known as swedish ivy (Plectranthus verticillatus):

518u%2B4CfMpL._SX425_.jpg

And this is another (Glechoma hederacea):
creeping-charlie-400x266.jpg

This is what wiki has to say about the last picture here:

Glechoma hederacea is known to contain terpenoids; terpene-rich volatile oils are known to irritate the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys. The volatile oil also contains pulegone, a chemical also occurring in pennyroyal, that is a known irritant, toxic to the liver, and also an abortifacient.