Creating a first enclosure

Bookaddict25

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Currently, my russian tortoise Nicolai is being housed in a 55 gallon tank. I understand it's not suitable, however, it's a huge upgrade from the 20 his previous owners kept him in, and it's temporary. I've read and researched that russians like to climb and burrow, and my thought was to creat his habitat out of a prefab 125 gallon pond that I have. It's multi level so the middle could be the dig spot, driftwood and rocks to climb to the next level,, and perhaps I could do a wooden box allowing for flat basking/wandering space. There is a shelf on which I would plant my weeds for grazing. Does this sound like a reasonable enclosure? I know it's not a typical "tortoise table", but I've been trying to figure out what to do with this pond for a few years now.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Currently, my russian tortoise Nicolai is being housed in a 55 gallon tank. I understand it's not suitable, however, it's a huge upgrade from the 20 his previous owners kept him in, and it's temporary. I've read and researched that russians like to climb and burrow, and my thought was to creat his habitat out of a prefab 125 gallon pond that I have. It's multi level so the middle could be the dig spot, driftwood and rocks to climb to the next level,, and perhaps I could do a wooden box allowing for flat basking/wandering space. There is a shelf on which I would plant my weeds for grazing. Does this sound like a reasonable enclosure? I know it's not a typical "tortoise table", but I've been trying to figure out what to do with this pond for a few years now.
It actually sounds like it may work well. Can you post a picture of the "pond" so that we may all see it. Will this be for an indoor enclosure?

Bookaddict25

Pennsylvania
It actually sounds like it may work well. Can you post a picture of the "pond" so that we may all see it. Will this be for an indoor enclosure?

Excuse the state of it. It's been under my front porch for awhile. It's indoor. I live in pa, and it's mighty cold in the winter.

20180109_190552.jpg

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
The pond is 5ft long by 3 1/2 ft wide.
You'll probably want something a bit larger, especially because it doesn't look like there's much space on the corners, and I don't think he'll be able to walk in between them. So if you need four ramps, it will also take up space from the bottom floor area. It sounds like Nicolai could still grow some more as well. I use an old bookshelf turned on its side for my Russian.

Bookaddict25

Pennsylvania
You'll probably want something a bit larger, especially because it doesn't look like there's much space on the corners, and I don't think he'll be able to walk in between them. So if you need four ramps, it will also take up space from the bottom floor area. It sounds like Nicolai could still grow some more as well. I use an old bookshelf turned on its side for my Russian.
I actually was going to build a box around it so he'd have flat wandering room as well, but I ended up just shelling out money for this thing, and we are going to adapt it to make it more suitable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-12-11-39-34.png
    Screenshot_2018-01-12-11-39-34.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 30

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Still seems like it could be slightly on the smaller side for a Russian. Especially since its very narrow and not deep, but the house does add a bit more room. Just make sure the ramps aren't too steep and they have railings your tort won't be able to climb over and fall.

Bookaddict25

Pennsylvania
Still seems like it could be slightly on the smaller side for a Russian. Especially since its very narrow and not deep, but the house does add a bit more room. Just make sure the ramps aren't too steep and they have railings your tort won't be able to climb over and fall.
Thanks, we are planning on lowering the house and therefore the ramps. Also I want to put side rails on them. In the summer, I can expand it when it's out in my yard. This will be his indoor setup. I'll take a pic when it's finished being setup and remodeled.

cdr

Delaware
Good Morning All,

I am new to the forum, and I have started to research the Russian Tortoise for a life time family member. Unfortunately, my husband and I are not handy woodworkers, but the homes I see on the forum are fabulous. As an alternative would it be possible to use a large vegetable table with wheels to house our friend? We understand the lining process, substrate, plants, food, water dishes needed as well as lighting.
Our other question is for the bathing process, is there any special water we should use, bottled, etc.,

I know we will have more questions as we move along the process, our goal is to have our set up prior to bringing our new family member home. Of course, we are debating do we rescue a tort from the local pet store, or work with Turtle Town in NJ for a captive raised tort. We live in Delaware and found this location to be the best rated.

Our experience with exotics is only our 3 hermit crabs we have had for over 10 years, and a new found salamander, Sally in our basement. We also have our vet on standby for any health concerns she will need to assist us with.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome @cdr, we are glad you are here asking questions before your purchase. Most of us got it the other way around. :oops:

You should create your own, new thread with your questions. People won’t realize you’re new if you add on to an existing thread and you won’t get as many answers.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC

Try this if you have the space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try this if you have the space.
This video is a terrible example of how to care for russians.
  1. These enclosures are too small.
  2. He's using 50% sand as substrate.
  3. Substrate is dry.
  4. He's got Timothy hay on top of the substrate spread everywhere. Russians are not grass eaters. If you are going to feed grass hay to a russian, it should be something softer and it should be chopped or blended up and rehydrated. Feeding them the steamiest type of hay you can buy, whole and dry, is not the way to go.
  5. Hay should never be on the substrate because it will mold with dampness and because you don't want them eating their substrate as they try to eat the hay that is spread all around, especially if the substrate is half sand.
  6. Sand substrate. Impaction risk and skin and eye irritant.
  7. High fiber diet has nothing to do with "calcium uptake".
  8. Cfl bulbs in both enclosures.
  9. Two females living together as a pair and he caught them on film in the middle of tortoise aggression to boot!
This is a great example of what is yielded when people of "research" on the internet. A person who is new to tortoises will have no idea that this guy who has had these tortoises for so long is doing so many things wrong.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
This video is a terrible example of how to care for russians.
  1. These enclosures are too small.
  2. He's using 50% sand as substrate.
  3. Substrate is dry.
  4. He's got Timothy hay on top of the substrate spread everywhere. Russians are not grass eaters. If you are going to feed grass hay to a russian, it should be something softer and it should be chopped or blended up and rehydrated. Feeding them the steamiest type of hay you can buy, whole and dry, is not the way to go.
  5. Hay should never be on the substrate because it will mold with dampness and because you don't want them eating their substrate as they try to eat the hay that is spread all around, especially if the substrate is half sand.
  6. Sand substrate. Impaction risk and skin and eye irritant.
  7. High fiber diet has nothing to do with "calcium uptake".
  8. Cfl bulbs in both enclosures.
  9. Two females living together as a pair and he caught them on film in the middle of tortoise aggression to boot!
This is a great example of what is yielded when people of "research" on the internet. A person who is new to tortoises will have no idea that this guy who has had these tortoises for so long is doing so many things wrong.

Do you have a pic of your rt setup?