Craigslist "Pets" Forum has me fuming!!!

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Those who anger you control you! A saying we have at cowboy church . Think about it .
That is soooo true. Yesterday I was so upset that I was "out of control". The whole thing consumed my day.
But today is better. I think we're all just laughing at their pathetic ignorance at this point.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
That is soooo true. Yesterday I was so upset that I was "out of control". The whole thing consumed my day.
But today is better. I think we're all just laughing at their pathetic ignorance at this point.

Don't worry about it, Those craigs people have something seriously wrong with them, they have a serious case of the stupidz. Obviously they hated me more than you because I only had 3 posts and all mine were deleted LOL! :D

Kim444

5 Year Member
well, first off, before I say anything, I will not engage in a debate but I will state my opinion and that is all. I have not read the craigslist forum but I would just like to put it out there that I too do not believe animals should be bred and raised in captivity, with the exception of dogs and cats, and I don't believe in breeding those either anymore because we just keep breeding them while shelters kills thousands a day. I love animals and adopted all the animals I own but would never support any type of breeder buy buying one. I wish animals had been left in the wild as they were meant to live instead of this crazy notion that it is ok to keep animals in cages, tables, houses, aquariums, terrariums, backyards, etc...

I do not preach my opinion to people and I certainly would never come on a forum and bash people for being breeders.

Turtlepete

South Florida
well, first off, before I say anything, I will not engage in a debate but I will state my opinion and that is all. I have not read the craigslist forum but I would just like to put it out there that I too do not believe animals should be bred and raised in captivity, with the exception of dogs and cats, and I don't believe in breeding those either anymore because we just keep breeding them while shelters kills thousands a day. I love animals and adopted all the animals I own but would never support any type of breeder buy buying one. I wish animals had been left in the wild as they were meant to live instead of this crazy notion that it is ok to keep animals in cages, tables, houses, aquariums, terrariums, backyards, etc...

I do not preach my opinion to people and I certainly would never come on a forum and bash people for being breeders.

Here is the problem with that opinion.

You do not believe animals should be kept, or bred, in captivity. Yet, many, MANY species, exist solely because of captive breeding. Sometimes, these are the VERY same people that "exploit" the animals for money that are keeping the species alive.
So, basically, you buy paper products for your family, therefore supporting the entire demolition of the Amazon, and thus thousands of species.
But you don't support captive breeding to keep these species alive, or maybe, keeping the species you support the extinction of in captivity for our own enjoyment. Because a life in captivity is much worse then death, right?
So, I guess its okay for we humans to absolutely annihilate nature in any way we can, but it is NOT ok for we few to try to prevent their extinction, or perhaps keep these animals that will eventually be driven out of existence in the wild, for our enjoyment.
Makes sense.

That's the essence of the whole "breeding is evil" PETA-inspired, HSUS funded crap.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I am obviously not speaking about a breeding program for keeping almost extinct animals from becoming extinct. But again i won't get into a debate. We are all entitled to our opinions, and there is no problem with mine. I am not going to sit here and give you every example of a good breeder versus bad breeder or a good breeding program versus a bad one.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx

Ummmm.... Ok. Then what are you doing on THIS forum? Do you keep a turtle or tortoise or any other exotic? I don't want to start an argument here just simply stating the fact that your opinion is unjustifiably hypocritical.
If you do in fact, keep exotic species, were they not obtained from a responsible breeder? If not, then you would have had to take them out of the "wild".
And as previously stated many times there are MANY responsible breeders out there who do this out of love, compassion, serious hobby or, as previously stated as well, to maintain a species.
Exotics have to come from somewhere. And it boils down to two choices.
1. Captive Bred
2. Wild Caught
Neither of which appears to be satisfactory to you?

Turtlepete

South Florida
I am obviously not speaking about a breeding program for keeping almost extinct animals from becoming extinct. But again i won't get into a debate. We are all entitled to our opinions, and there is no problem with mine. I am not going to sit here and give you every example of a good breeder versus bad breeder or a good breeding program versus a bad one.

I'm sorry, but its incredibly foolish to post a very controversial thought on a forum specifically dedicated to keeping exotic animals to begin with, and NOT expect some sort of rebuttal.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Guys, it's her opinion :/ Even if it may seem illogical to you, it's still her opinion. I have no problem with that opinion if I still get to keep my tortoise and have the complete right to own the animals I want.... Would I be angry if people protested to ban exotics being sold? Yes I would. I wouldn't mind if they banned themselves from keeping exotics...

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Guys, it's her opinion :/ Even if it may seem illogical to you, it's still her opinion. I have no problem with that opinion if I still get to keep my tortoise and have the complete right to own the animals I want.... Would I be angry if people protested to ban exotics being sold? Yes I would. I wouldn't mind if they banned themselves from keeping exotics...
Wow. You really did get enough of that Craigslist crap, eh? I can understand and respect her opinion as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have just had soooooo many encounters with people who think that it's ok to have an exotic as long as it came Petsmart and they can buy little toys for it. The retail aspect of it makes them feel better. Not so different than buying that chicken to eat, and not having to think about the conditions in which it was raised.
It would be nice if people who were into exotics understood the conditions these animals come from compared to a professional breeder. Like I said, the animal has to come from somewhere, and a professional breeder is hands-down the best option. It is hard for me to wrap my head around it….

Kim444

5 Year Member
First off, I am on many forums for all my animals so I have thick skin and you guys can debate my opinion all you want but like I said I won't debate it. I don't preach it, I state it from time to time and I am entitled to do that. I will answer one question: I keep pets because their are sooooo many in rescue that need homes. I have yet to purchase a pet. Am I glad I get to keep pets, yes, but would I rather not keep pets if it meant that there were none in rescue, absolutely. I don't think stores should sell animals of any kind.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
First off, I am on many forums for all my animals so I have thick skin and you guys can debate my opinion all you want but like I said I won't debate it. I don't preach it, I state it from time to time and I am entitled to do that. I will answer one question: I keep pets because their are sooooo many in rescue that need homes. I have yet to purchase a pet. Am I glad I get to keep pets, yes, but would I rather not keep pets if it meant that there were none in rescue, absolutely. I don't think stores should sell animals of any kind.
The majority of our angst here was directed at that Craigslist forum and the general population of low IQ, teenage, and/or highly ignorant people posting who have no interest in education. I am NOT saying you are one of those people.
Obviously, by visiting all these forums you are, in fact, seeking knowledge. As responsible care takers that is what we all should do... frequently.
I am truly curious, not trying to debate at all, as stated I respect your opinion, as to what types of animals you keep or have kept as rescues? Where do they come from? How do you find them?
I am sincerely interested.

Kim444

5 Year Member
I have 2 parrots(which hurt me the most because I wish they could know what it's like to fly free and soar the sky's as they are meant to do). I have 2 leopard geckos(which my father bought my older 2 boys from a pet store without my permission), I have Mr. T my Greek tort and a Labrador retriever dog.

I got the parrots from parrot rescues(their are many here), there are so many parrots in rescue because of their long life spans and breeders breed them because they sell for a lot of money. People think you stick a parrot in a cage and they talk and play. Parrots are highly sociable animals that require a ton of attention and demand it when they don't get it, they are not a pet for everyone, yet everyone wants one. The rescue I got my cockatoo from has 60 parrots, the other rescue I got my African grey from has about 10 parrots.

I was in touch with a gecko rescue when my father came home with the 2 geckos. I told him to take them back which he tried to do but they do not refund for animals.

Mr. T I found on Kijiji as someone needed to rehome him.( I looked for almost a year waiting for someone to need to rehome their tortoise)

My Lab Dodger was a friend of a friends dog who's family lost their house and had to move in with family that would not take a dog. I found out 2 days before they were going to bring him to the pound. I feed him a raw diet, as close to nature as possible since I don't believe in feeding animals man made food like kibble.

Thanks for asking, I love telling the stories of my pets.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
That's great! Parrots are a lot of work! My dad has one, he's had her for about 15 years. She HATES everyone but him. Lol. It's so funny. She sits on his shoulder like a pirate parrot. I can't let my kids near her though!
My tort, Tank, is also a re-homed animal. He was the pet of a lady I mets son that he got when he was 13. (Her son was 13) and then he went away to college and left him there. He's was in tiny little fenced off area that was mostly concrete and had almost no human interaction of and kind other that them throwing scraps of food over the fence for him.
Now, he is 17 years old, has a 1/2 acre yard which he roams freely, eats my grass, and dug a HUGE burrow in. I give him lots of goodies and interaction. But his life is much better now and he gets to do whatever he would normally do in the wild. With the exception of the fence, but I can't let him wander off!