cracking on bottom of shell, really worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NY
IMAG0743.jpgIMAG0742.jpgHi guys. I noticed tanker has some cracking on the bottom of his shell. is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks like bacterial infection (probably she'll rot) best recommendation would be take to your vet for a professional opinion. Typically this is cleared up by scrubbing betadine or surgical scrub daily and kept dry until it begins to heal. Do you keep the substrate really moist in his enclosure? This is the most common cause of this problem.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
tortadise said:
Looks like bacterial infection (probably she'll rot) best recommendation would be take to your vet for a professional opinion. Typically this is cleared up by scrubbing betadine or surgical scrub daily and kept dry until it begins to heal. Do you keep the substrate really moist in his enclosure? This is the most common cause of this problem.

no I just changed his enclosure and have a lot of rocks. I was wondering if it could be from the rocks?

Kolorbl1nd said:
tortadise said:

no I just changed his enclosure and have a lot of rocks. I was wondering if it could be from the rocks?

its not soft or smelly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Typically how it starts. I always do a once a month betadine or chlorohexidine scrub to prevent. Especially with stars. I would get him checked out just to be safe, and before it gets worse. If it were the rocks I think it would show more scrapping than cracking.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
tortadise said:
Typically how it starts. I always do a once a month betadine or chlorohexidine scrub to prevent. Especially with stars. I would get him checked out just to be safe, and before it gets worse. If it were the rocks I think it would show more scrapping than cracking.

where do i get the betadine or chlorohexidine?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Medical supply places. I don't believe Cvs or Walgreens has it. You can try though.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
tortadise said:
Medical supply places. I don't believe Cvs or Walgreens has it. You can try though.

if i use this stuff will it get rid of it? i just scrub it on his shell with a toothbrush? how often?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Start twice a day and ounce you see it starting to close up and heal then the infection healed and isn't trying to "get out" anymore. Leave it open the way it is just keep cleaning it and it will naturally seal. If its closed and not totally healed it can cause internal infection which would be very bad and require oral antibiotics which is not a fun thing to give to torts. Make sure to rinse and dry real good after you clean it. And do not soak your tort in it. Ingestion would be bad for him. Tooth brush is ok use a soft one. And rinse with gauze pad.

If you can't find it locally you can try online. Betadine is best. If you go with chlorohexidine use the scrub not the solution there's two kinds we use at the vet where I worked.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
tortadise said:
Start twice a day and ounce you see it starting to close up and heal then the infection healed and isn't trying to "get out" anymore. Leave it open the way it is just keep cleaning it and it will naturally seal. If its closed and not totally healed it can cause internal infection which would be very bad and require oral antibiotics which is not a fun thing to give to torts. Make sure to rinse and dry real good after you clean it. And do not soak your tort in it. Ingestion would be bad for him. Tooth brush is ok use a soft one. And rinse with gauze pad.

If you can't find it locally you can try online. Betadine is best. If you go with chlorohexidine use the scrub not the solution there's two kinds we use at the vet where I worked.

i found the betadine so i will start that today thank you so much for your help.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
You can buy a product called Hibiclense (chlorahexadine solution) at CVS or Walgreens.

Status
Not open for further replies.