Crack in plastron.. baby red foot

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I took the baby out of his soak today and did a once over to make sure he was ok, when I noticed a horizontal crack in his plastron that was not there yesterday. I ran my finger across it and it is definitely a crack of some sort, not like a dark brown line or indentation.

I tried searching the forum, but none of the posts really showed anything similar. Here are photos (sorry they are high res so y'all can see better):

20140403_182635.jpg

Right Crack (his right, the one on the left in the first photo)
rightCrack.jpg

Left Crack (his left, the one on the right in the first photo)
leftCrack.jpg

His four temps are 95 basking, 85 hot side, 80 cold side, 75 night and humidity is 85-90%. Here are recent photos of his enclosure:

DSC_0905.jpg
DSC_0910.jpg
DSC_0902.jpg

He is eating like a horse and very active (getting a clear photo of his belly was a challenge).

Is this normal growth or something bad?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm not very familiar with baby tortoises, but those kind of look like they are leftover from when he was folded in his egg...If so, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Here's a photo of him before I got him:

IMG_0976_zpsd0e6b43f.jpg

So, it definitely was not something he had before I received him and I did not see it last night :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure, but they are more prone to shell rot and fungus, be sure
The humidity is correct but with the top layer of substrate being dry

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I just put a fresh layer of spagham moss down, to keep it drier. Should I start treatment for shell rot?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I can clearly see those lines in the "before" picture. Just looks like maybe dirt from the substrate is making it appear more prominent. By no means does this look like something to panic about.....

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Yeah I can see them in the before photo also, try scrubbing it with a brush after a soak.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Pokeymeg said:
I'm not very familiar with baby tortoises, but those kind of look like they are leftover from when he was folded in his egg...If so, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

your right on the money $$$......those are "fold" marks from being inside the egg.....

Dorrie Siu

I see the same lines in the before picture and thinking that the fold lines could be more pronounced because the plastron around it is growing more, making the lines seem more inset.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Oh thank goodness! Thank you everyone for your quick and informed answers, now I can breathe a sigh of relief. I will get a nice, soft baby tooth brush tonight and give him a little scrub!