Covered enclosure?

Katie Giles

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I see so many amazing tortoise habitats that are just wide open. Are these for larger species? Or are they not really vulnerable to predators? We are starting to build an outdoor enclosure for our Russian and I feel like we need to have him covered. If a dog will go after a tortoise, wouldn't a coyote or a fox?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
I see so many amazing tortoise habitats that are just wide open. Are these for larger species? Or are they not really vulnerable to predators? We are starting to build an outdoor enclosure for our Russian and I feel like we need to have him covered. If a dog will go after a tortoise, wouldn't a coyote or a fox?
I would cover your enclosure, or you could build 2. 1 for indoors and one for outdoors. That way, if it’s a cold day or your worried about him at night you can just bring him in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on your area and situation. Predators usually keep their distance when people or domestic animals are out and about. Then, your tortoise should retire into its secure night box at dusk, where you latch him safely inside for the night.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
We have a lot of coyotes where i am and they will jump fences here to get to pets... we have some people that put roll bars on top of their fences... one of my clients lost there Maltese to a coyote that jumped over while she let it out to pee. Thats here though. We have a very healthy population everywhere here. I have no idea what your area is like. Toms idea should work really anywhere so long as its secure.