Could you please help me identify my tortoise

Yousif

Location (City and/or State)
Saudia Arabia
It's for sure a Testudo Graeca Graeca. We have some of them here, in Spain. Maybe the difference with Terrestris is the lack of black spots on the limbs, but my concern is the aspect of the plastron with that red colour under it.According to my experience, its indicates an infection which can turns into a septicemia, so please continue antibiotics treatment and make a bacterial culture in order to give the tortoise the appropiate antibiotic.

Good luck
Im also worried he hasn't pooped or peed in days... he is eating but nothing

coloto

In order to stimulate his gastrointestinal tract, give him baths with warm water, it also helps to hydration.

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
***update*** i found him a uvb/uva light bulb (2.8%uvb, 12% uva) my question is that enough uvb or uva or should i order a better one online( i spend all day looking and this is the only one i could find in my town)

Attachments

• 15670928220752608916061072020513.jpg
    15670928220752608916061072020513.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

stephjoe

Honolulu HI
Hello my name is Yousif i live in Saudi Arabia.
i came back from the UK and i found out my tortoise has been malnourished for months, i took him to the vet and he informed me that my tortoise isn't a dessert tortoise like i thought but instead was a Greek tortoise(he also gave me antibiotics and vitamins to give him), i would like your help to identify my tortoise species (and subspecies if possible) so that i can build him a better home and give him the right food that he deserves(grass instead of sawdust, fans to cool him down, etc) his home right now is a bed of sawdust and a cardboard box (there is a glass ceiling that give him sunlight everyday).

Kind regards
Yousif

View attachment 279433 View attachment 279434
He reminds me of my Herman’s tort, Testudo hermanni but looks like you’ve already got a solid ID. Here is the forum guide for identification of Herman’s
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-identify-hermanns-tortoises.163578/

puffinboots

I live near you in the Middle East. My tortoises look just like yours . Mine have spurs. They all live outdoors in the sun but bury themselves when it gets too hot, or head for their houses. They have cuttle fish to gnaw on & they love Romaine Lettice & cabbage. Can you let him live outdoors? It’s the natural habitat for them.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please NO Sand- very gritty to the eyes and will cause impaction if heat. Please get a fine grade Orchid Bark- Fir bark. Zoo Med sells as ReptiBark

puffinboots

Please NO Sand- very gritty to the eyes and will cause impaction if heat. Please get a fine grade Orchid Bark- Fir bark. Zoo Med sells as ReptiBark
Tortoises from deserts which are where mine came from are used to living in sand. It covers most of the Middle East where these tortoises were found.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It is also very dry and babies need lots of moisture please check the forum under species and follow your species guide

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
An update to those concerned about his health

First habitat: i have bought a uvb/uva lamb bulb and im looking inti getting new bedding (a mixture of sand, dirt and gravel maybe grass as well).

Second food: i looked into and bought the following to rotate around the week ( leek, dill, romaine lettuce, arugula, parsley as well as strawberries and blueberries).

Third meds: he is still on his scheduled meds and vitamins (and will be for at least 3 months acorn to the vet) im seeing a lot of improvements he is more active and he pooped his bites are stronger as well

Since i dont have the lamp yet im moving his take from a room with sunlight to a cool room at night (not cold). Usaly we feed him and then let him out of his cage to roam around the house so that he can go to sunlight or avoid it and go to a cool area but right now he is too weak for that

puffinboots

In your area sunlight is always available. He will love it more in winter. Mine line up front feet up on the wall to catch the first sun rays to hit. In this heat we have now or even in the AC you will not need lamps. If you have to keep him indoors just cover his box up at night.