Could you please help me identify my tortoise

Yousif

Location (City and/or State)
Saudia Arabia
Hello my name is Yousif i live in Saudi Arabia.
i came back from the UK and i found out my tortoise has been malnourished for months, i took him to the vet and he informed me that my tortoise isn't a dessert tortoise like i thought but instead was a Greek tortoise(he also gave me antibiotics and vitamins to give him), i would like your help to identify my tortoise species (and subspecies if possible) so that i can build him a better home and give him the right food that he deserves(grass instead of sawdust, fans to cool him down, etc) his home right now is a bed of sawdust and a cardboard box (there is a glass ceiling that give him sunlight everyday).

Kind regards
Yousif

20190827_002011.jpg 20190827_002021.jpg

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
Best of luck. Beautiful tort. I am not 100% positive of the species though, but it looks VERY similar to one I had some years ago.
I'll keep checking the post (while reading the care guild) but i think you are correct too.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome read the care sheets. Get rid of the sawdust as soon as possible. Great looking tort!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
It's definitely a Greek. Their species has the random black markings on the plastron.

@HermanniChris has lots of experience with Testudo graeca and can make a better ID of the subspecies than anybody else I know. Let's see what he says.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
So you agree that's its greek?
I agree with it being a Greek. But my knowledge is limited. Sometimes when I think I have the right answer I am wrong. Still learning.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Just saw the post from HermanniChrisis.
You can take that answer to the bank.
Good luck with your new friend.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your tortoise actually looks pretty good to me.
Just one thing I would add here - sunlight (UV light rays) do not penetrate glass.

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
Your tortoise actually looks pretty good to me.
Just one thing I would add here - sunlight (UV light rays) do not penetrate glass.
He is really weak, doesnt move as often as he used to and doesn't bite as hard either ( cant even bite throught lettuce most of the time)

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
He is really weak, doesnt move as often as he used to and doesn't bite as hard either ( cant even bite throught lettuce most of the time)
Plus while the top part of his shell is hard, the bottom part(his belly) is soft...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Plus while the top part of his shell is hard, the bottom part(his belly) is soft...
I looked again at the plastron (bottom shell) and it does look a bit off. I guess this tortoise needs some calcium in his diet, apart from the other changes you need to make as you study the needs of this species.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I don’t like the look of the plastron it looks bruised towards the edges of the abdominal scutes.
I’m thinking this tortoise might need to see a vet.
You defiantly need more calcium in the diet and I would soak the tortoise in baby carrot food.

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
I don’t like the look of the plastron it looks bruised towards the edges of the abdominal scutes.
I’m thinking this tortoise might need to see a vet.
You defiantly need more calcium in the diet and I would soak the tortoise in baby carrot food.
I took him to a vet he said he was malnourished and gave me these. They are vatamin supplements, antibiotics, and something else im not sure of ill add calcium to his diet( calcium supplements in the water or food) as he is to weak to move to much and im afraid he will get a heat stroke in this heat.
I was previously unaware of the fact that the sunlight he receives through the window isnt good enough and will loom for lights or other forms to get him the nutrients he needs

Attachments

• 20190828_001033.jpg
    20190828_001033.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Yousif

Saudia Arabia
I took him to a vet he said he was malnourished and gave me these. They are vatamin supplements, antibiotics, and something else im not sure of ill add calcium to his diet( calcium supplements in the water or food) as he is to weak to move to much and im afraid he will get a heat stroke in this heat.
I was previously unaware of the fact that the sunlight he receives through the window isnt good enough and will loom for lights or other forms to get him the nutrients he needs
He is to weak to eat alot so im thinking of putting the drops in some water for him to drink

coloto

It's for sure a Testudo Graeca Graeca. We have some of them here, in Spain. Maybe the difference with Terrestris is the lack of black spots on the limbs, but my concern is the aspect of the plastron with that red colour under it.According to my experience, its indicates an infection which can turns into a septicemia, so please continue antibiotics treatment and make a bacterial culture in order to give the tortoise the appropiate antibiotic.

Good luck