Cottage cheese urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I have read all about urates and white stuff, but could not find anything about what would cause them to look like cottage cheese, sorry if I am being gross :(. This is why I am asking about it. My mom and I went to the SDTTS meeting last week and we remember Ginny (the president of the SDTTS) say that urates are okay but it is BAD if they look like cottage cheese. Well whatever the reason, I didn't file it in my brain nor did my mom and she said Bob ( one of our four) passed this. They get to roam a pretty good sized yard several times a week and graze, they also have about a 10X15 pen they are in when we leave. On cold days and night they have a warm tort table in the garage (it is too full of stuff to park in so they are not breathing fumes). They eat grass,hay, mazuri, spring mix dandilion and a bunch of other greens. Also added calcium.So is the cottage cheese bad? and what would cause it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What about hydration? How big are they and do you soak them? Do they have a water dish large enough for them to not only drink from, but to get into to self soak should they want?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They are about four years old Bob and Merv are about 8" Perv is bigger and Shelby smaller. They have always had a water dish to get into when they want. It is big enough for two torts to get in at once. They get soaked about 2 times a week more when it is warm out and we are all out side more. Before we moved here, when I had room for a tort table in my familyroom they got soaked every other day, just because my setup was easier. We moved in August. Now they get more outside time. They don't seem to go in their water dish on their own unless it is really warm out. It has been a bit cool in San Diego lately. It is dry out so if it is over 70 I put them out.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angi, these are the CDTs right? I would increase their soaks to daily along with leaving them to soak for at least 30 minutes.....if the urates are more like smooth toothpaste that is a bit better but none is always the best :D:D:D:D:D

When urates begin to have shape and chunk or grit to them that is an indicator that their hydration is a little low....

Status
Not open for further replies.