Correct light?

David y

Location (City and/or State)
Oak Forest il
Hello all! After the “advice” I received from so called “experts” about the mvb I went ahead and purchased a flood bulb per the GOOD advice I received here. Just wanted to make sure what I got was correct. Somewhat limited choices at the hardware store. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

David y

Oak Forest il
That bulb will provide some heat.
But it's not a UVB bulb.
Thank you so much. I do have a uvb tube light after realizing the mvb was not a good purchase. I thought I did thorough research in talking to some experienced people and reading other sites but I’m so glad I found this forum. Insane to think there’s so much useless stuff out there and the amount of money people(myself included) will pay for it. I have a uv meter on the way and already have a che w/ a thermostat thanks to everyone’s advice here and also have a mini greenhouse coming too. The poor guy is still passing some gritty urates so we’ve been soaking him extra long and keeping him covered as much as possible until the cover comes. Is there anything else I can change to get rid of the grittiness? The lowest the humidity seems to get is 50% but I’m hoping with the greenhouse over the setup we can keep it up way more than that. Thank you again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all! After the “advice” I received from so called “experts” about the mvb I went ahead and purchased a flood bulb per the GOOD advice I received here. Just wanted to make sure what I got was correct. Somewhat limited choices at the hardware store. Thanks!!!
This bulb looks excellent. Use your thermometer under it to adjust the height.

David y

Oak Forest il
This bulb looks excellent. Use your thermometer under it to adjust the height.
Thank you! I have adjusted the height for the perfect temps. I have a uv meter and mini greenhouse on the way as well. We’re dealing with some gritty urates right now so we’ve been doing an extra long soak and doubling up when possible. We cover him overnight and have a che running on a thermostat as well. Is dehydration the only cause of gritty urates or is there something else I can look into changing. Right now we are feeding him some dandelions I can find in the yard(we’re in Chicago area) and store bought endive, collards, mustard, cilantro and very small amounts of assorted veggies as well as temperate small pellet tortoise diet by thrive. Don’t think he’s really eating those tho. We have been keeping the humidity up with constant mistings but it can get down to 45/50% during the day while we’re not here but like I said we do have a geeenhouse too coming to fix that. Just want to make sure this little dude stays happy

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of us have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars over the years learning what works and what doesn't.
There's so much WRONG information out there. Old information. And to top it off, most places that sell turtles and tortoises sell the wrong stuff too.
You're not alone.

TisMary

New York
Is dehydration the only cause of gritty urates or is there something else I can look into changing.
Hi @David y - on a lark, I did a search here on TF for "gritty urate" - found a bunch of posts. Maybe have a look? Did I miss it - what kind of tortoise? Good for you doing your research and trying to do the right thing.

David y

Oak Forest il
Hey there, thank you! We have a marginated tortoise. I did search gritty urates on the site, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything else I could change about our routine. We really appreciate everyone being so helpful, the amount of knowledge sharing here is mind blowing??