Coronavirus “Lockdown” Project.

Axelay2003

Due to the Coronavirus “lockdown,” I finally finished this project that I wanted to start almost 2 years ago, ??.
This project took approx 5 hours to finish with the help of my 4 year old son.

We added micro fans to help with ventilation. Upper Right Lid: Air out. Lower Left Lid: Air in.

I'm still working on fine tuning the humidifier. I should be receiving the humidifier controller next week.

Thanks for looking,

Gerald

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 54
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61

Axelay2003

Looks good! Are you going to add any substrate in there?

We built this last Saturday as an indoor haven for these little ones. I'm thinking since it is temporary housing, I will leave out the coconut coir substrate that I just received from Amazon today. Easier to clean this way. Although I may change my decision.

Their "permanent" home is pictured below.

Attachments

• Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Office pond.jpg
    Office pond.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 59

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Due to the Coronavirus “lockdown,” I finally finished this project that I wanted to start almost 2 years ago, ??.

We added micro fans to help with ventilation. Upper Right Lid: Air out. Lower Left Lid: Air in.

I'm still working on fine tuning the humidifier. I should be receiving the humidifier controller next week.

Thanks for looking,

Gerald

Is the bird waterer to supply humidity or for drinking? The Tortoise pictured will not be able to get water from that device. I love all your detailed, step by step production pictures. I would however, suggest substrate. It won't take that much for this tub and it will be much more comfortable for this little guy. It will keep your humidity up better as well.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We built this last Saturday as an indoor haven for these little ones. I'm thinking since it is temporary housing, I will leave out the coconut coir substrate that I just received from Amazon today. Easier to clean this way. Although I may change my decision.

Their "permanent" home is pictured below.

If your little fellow will be going in this soon, you will probably need to lay a substantial layer of river rocks so he won't drown in the little pond. I wish I had such a lovely atrium for one of my walls. Beautiful!

Axelay2003

Is the bird waterer to supply humidity or for drinking? The Tortoise pictured will not be able to get water from that device. I love all your detailed, step by step production pictures. I would however, suggest substrate. It won't take that much for this tub and it will be much more comfortable for this little guy. It will keep your humidity up better as well.

Thank you! As far as the bird waterer, they actually have been trained to use it with no problem.

Axelay2003

If you look at a couple of the pictures, I do have a humidifier. My digital humidity controller just arrived, so I will be installing it a little later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Thanks for looking,

Gerald
You honestly shouldn't even need the humidifier. A good closed chamber like that should only need a little water poured into the substrate to maintain 80-90% humidity.

Axelay2003

You honestly shouldn't even need the humidifier. A good closed chamber like that should only need a little water poured into the substrate to maintain 80-90% humidity.
Thank you! I will experiment with and without substrate. I just received a humidifier controller so I will be playing with that.

North Carolina
That is the absolute dream outdoor enclosure, one day I hope to create something like that!

When creating an enclosed environment I assume that it is more important to make sure that temperature and humidity set points meet the microclimate needs of the intended species (redfoot in this case), but I wonder how much, if at all, that varies from the ambient humidity/temperature? I wonder if humidity gradients are important as well? Just my thoughts as I looked at this build. I am also in the process of building an indoor enclosure and I am trying to figure out what environmental factors to replicate for my tortoise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_084536.jpg
    IMG_20200328_084536.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200329_160329.jpg
    IMG_20200329_160329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200329_160348.jpg
    IMG_20200329_160348.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 23

Axelay2003

That is the absolute dream outdoor enclosure, one day I hope to create something like that!

When creating an enclosed environment I assume that it is more important to make sure that temperature and humidity set points meet the microclimate needs of the intended species (redfoot in this case), but I wonder how much, if at all, that varies from the ambient humidity/temperature? I wonder if humidity gradients are important as well? Just my thoughts as I looked at this build. I am also in the process of building an indoor enclosure and I am trying to figure out what environmental factors to replicate for my tortoise.

Thank you! The outdoor enclosure wasn’t cheap, lol. I had the landscaper redo it twice.

Your indoor enclosure is going to look really nice. Please keep us posted.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Nice work. Only wondering where is the tubular UVB light? Also why not just start with the semi clear box instead of black? I'm making up 3 of them for baby tortoises but will be using damp substrate as suggested MANY times this website.

Axelay2003

Nice work. Only wondering where is the tubular UVB light? Also why not just start with the semi clear box instead of black? I'm making up 3 of them for baby tortoises but will be using damp substrate as suggested MANY times this website.

I used the black due to preference. I feel like black has a more calming effect on them. No tubular UVB light, only UVB bulb. There are literatures out there with regards to even using a UVB lighting...if it is really beneficial or if effective. I may in the future add a tube, but since this is a temporary enclosure for them, I am not really concerned about it. I do, however, take them outside to bask in the Florida sun for at least 6 hours daily.