Corn snake baby - advice please

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Oh yes, after seeing even closer up pics that is definitely an eastern milk snake. Pretty little guy!

Tortle10

We are known for our love of reptiles and all living things in our neighbourhood, so I wasn't too surprised when a neighbour showed up at the door with this little guy and asked if we could make sure it didn't get into his backyard again lol
View attachment 58472
I have set him up in our tiny terrarium for now. From what I am reading online they need little room and like tight hiding spaces as babies. He's very tiny, not even as thick as a standard pencil, and about eight inches long.
What's do I feed? Is he ok on soil with live plants and a large cave? My sons room is 86 degrees, do I need to add additional heat source? What do I feed such a tiny mouth?
Thanks all in advance for advice. This forum has been great for raising our tort, hoping for the same helpful advice with this tiny snake

Hey Sh3wulf, Love corn snakes also known as red rat snakes, they are constrictors, feed on small rodents, and are excellent climbers. In the wild they are mostly nocturnal. They do well in captivity and are quite friendly most of the time. feed him pinkies for now, than small mice as he is able to handle them (store bought). Hope this helps Tortle10.

Tortle10

We are known for our love of reptiles and all living things in our neighbourhood, so I wasn't too surprised when a neighbour showed up at the door with this little guy and asked if we could make sure it didn't get into his backyard again lol
View attachment 58472
I have set him up in our tiny terrarium for now. From what I am reading online they need little room and like tight hiding spaces as babies. He's very tiny, not even as thick as a standard pencil, and about eight inches long.
What's do I feed? Is he ok on soil with live plants and a large cave? My sons room is 86 degrees, do I need to add additional heat source? What do I feed such a tiny mouth?
Thanks all in advance for advice. This forum has been great for raising our tort, hoping for the same helpful advice with this tiny snake

Hey Sh3wulf Tortle10 again,OOPS, Just looked at the picture and yes it is most definitely a milk snake. Not in the rat snake family, don't normally do well in captivity and from the ones I have had in the past,(wild caught) don't care to be handled. You would be better with a corn snake, lol

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Milk and King snakes are great eaters. They do awesome in captivity but do not like to be handled often. They will normally musk all over you. I found corn snakes were more tame and more willing to be handled. They are great eaters as well.