Corn leaves?

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
We have an organic cornfield. No pesticides or anything, and a farmer comes and harvest it with a truck in the fall. I know corn probably isn't the best, but what about the leaves. Are they too difficult to digest?

Attachments

• 20210807_072228.jpg
    20210807_072228.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210807_072218.jpg
    20210807_072218.jpg
    953.5 KB · Views: 6

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Guinea pigs love them...I have no idea if tortoises/turtles would take an interest...

They are apparently similar to grasses in fiber and protein...so perhaps a grass-eating species would be an appropriate test subject...

*buys Yvonne a C*ke!*

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Guinea pigs love them...I have no idea if tortoises/turtles would take an interest...

They are apparently similar to grasses in fiber and protein...so perhaps a grass-eating species would be an appropriate test subject...

*buys Yvonne a C*ke!*
Worth a shot

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't know where I got this, but I've always believed corn is in the grass family and as such the leaves are edible.
Yes, corn is a grass family member. I don't see why you could not feed corn leaves to your tortoises if they like them. They are really just a huge blade of grass.

I am thinking larger sulcatas would devour the leaves with gusto, but never tried feeding them myself to any tortoises. I did give all my tortoises ears of husked corn on occasion from my garden which they loved.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma

All of my previous pigs would eat husks, but my last old piggy just sniffs it and looks at me like I'm joking with him. I've tried several times, it's just bedding to him. He will nibble the leaves, but not with the same excitement as other greens.

The red foot wouldn't touch them but I haven't offered them to my marginated yet. I'm not confident he'll be a fan either ? I guess the plant just channels all of its tastiness to the fruit part!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

*buys Yvonne a C*ke!*
*caffeine free, please!*

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All of my previous pigs would eat husks, but my last old piggy just sniffs it and looks at me like I'm joking with him. I've tried several times, it's just bedding to him. He will nibble the leaves, but not with the same excitement as other greens.

The red foot wouldn't touch them but I haven't offered them to my marginated yet. I'm not confident he'll be a fan either ? I guess the plant just channels all of its tastiness to the fruit part!
Actually, I think the "fruit part" is the seed part! :)

DoubleD1996!

Memphis

sleepowers

LA MIRADA, CA
We have four desert tortoises that we received from my son's friend years ago as babies and raised them. they are about 32 years old now and they LOVE to eat corn, not the leaves but the whole corn and cob. So fun to watch them eat it, as they have no teeth but gnaw on it until there is nothing left on the cob. Enjoy!!