FullSizeRender-1_zpss5c76f9b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is it a denticulata, Pete? I can't wait to see it's cute little face!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Is it a denticulata, Pete? I can't wait to see it's cute little face!

Carbonaria. No denticulata for me, sadly.

Something interesting I've seen several times now. This one is actually only about 100 days old (very quick hatch for red foots, from my experience). The same day it hatched, another one, from a different clutch, different parent, different container, 40 days older, started hatching the same day. I've seen this several times where all will begin to hatch at once. Very strange.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
What a dreadful tease! Can't wait to see it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG!!! (sorry to go OT, Pete) Allegra! That is the prettiest picture ever.

Pete: I think it's nature that tells them to hatch at the same time. I've seen that happen a lot, especially in birds.

Last edited:

Turtlepete

South Florida
Well?!? Where is the update?

I forgot…

Little thing hatched yesterday. Quite a little thing, indeed…Its funny, every year, I'm just moving the rest of the offspring from last year, which are always around 3 1/2", right around the time more start to hatch. I always forgot how amazingly small they are….

IMG_1406_zpsehucsvkd.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot…

Little thing hatched yesterday. Quite a little thing, indeed…Its funny, every year, I'm just moving the rest of the offspring from last year, which are always around 3 1/2", right around the time more start to hatch. I always forgot how amazingly small they are….

IMG_1406_zpsehucsvkd.jpg

They seem to grow so slowly, but if you draw an outline around it on a piece of paper and set him on that outline in a month, you see really how quickly they grow.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Thankfully this little one is past the stage where some die off. The mother of this one has tons of eggs with decent fertility, but the hatchlings often die within the first 3 days. Never had the same issue with my other females. Possibly in part because her eggs are very small and the resulting hatchlings are almost half the size of the typical babies my other females have. This one is eating good and acting normal though, so should be okay. Still a ton of eggs cooking that don't seem to want to hatch….:cool:

IMG_1457_zpssjeplnsh.jpg

Pretty typical yellow plastron. Maybe slightly orange.

IMG_1458_zpsinnfpxet.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsjzhaax6g.jpg