Cool (little) Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Was spending some time going through my photos of this year's hatchling cherryheads and trying to figure which one was which. What I usually do (instead of using nail polish which would make way more sense) to identify the hatchlings I might want to hold back for a while is to take photos of their heads. As each one has its own pattern of head scutes and is unique, this usually works.
But what comes to mind when going through the photos is how cool some of the little ones look as they begin to age. Each individual's head, regardless of its color, is like some work of art. I never get tired of looking at them.
The following are a series of photos taken of a few hatchlings within a few days of their coming out of the incubator compared to how they look now. Some were hatched as early in the year as March while others just appeared in late August or early September. I tried to take fairly closeup pictures and in some cases when I did the color of the tortoise came out somewhat more yellowish orange than they actually are in real life. Also, I discovered that the hatchlings might have bits of their food (in these cases greens) still stuck to their faces even though I tried to rinse them off before photographing them.
This one is a couple of months old now. In these first two photos, taken when it was less than a week old, his head pattern looks fragmented. The actual color is a mixture of red, oranges and a bit of yellow...

BM3-106front.jpg

...it was also a very big hatchling...

BM3-106top.jpg

...this is what it looks like now. Again, the flash makes it look more golden instead of reddish orange...

DSC06788.jpg

This is one that hatched in late August...

DSC06504.jpg

...it was kind of a pale pinkish orange and had a strange little 'H' marking above its nose. Also has orange on its mandibles. This is what it looks like now...

DSC06805.jpg

Here are two that both hatched on August 23rd. This was taken when they were three days old...

DSC06634.jpg

The one on the left today...

BM4-284.jpg

....it has very red color and was the only hatchling this year out of 33 with an extra scute. The next two photos are of the one on the right. Again, it is actually a good bit more red than it looks in the pictures...

DSC06806.jpg

DSC06807.jpg

Sometimes, you can tell who will be the movie stars when they are right out of the egg. This one hatched on March 1st...

MG11-146side.jpg

this what it looks like now...

DSC06691.jpg

DSC06810.jpg

Like I said, every one is unique and attractive in its own way. It would be really interesting if it were possible to follow each baby from egg to adulthood and keep a photographic record of how it changes as it grows.
Thanks for looking.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. Carl now you're just making me kick myself because I didn't get one from you. I want that baby that was just born today, what a beauty. :) I love how you showed them then and now. The first one is a big hatchling though you're right. :D

LindaF

5 Year Member
I always wondered if the markings on their heads were like the stripes on zebras - no two are alike.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's one of yours Carl..Not really good head shots though. But I like that idea of watching those little head's changing.
Solo..before I got him
MG2-25face.jpg

mine now
050-4.jpg

last month
007-33.jpg

now
005-44.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
boy, if I ever get a cherry head, I am definately going to buy one from YOU! beautiful babies and beautiful pics.

thanks for sharing!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
[now
005-44.jpg

[/quote]

Nice job Terry. You sure provide a nice environment for the hatchlings.
These are some other photos I was going to add to the original posting. For some reason I am getting some degradation of the images when I transfer them from my computer to Photobucket and then from Photobucket to this site...

DSC06803-1.jpg

DSC06800-1.jpg

Already put up a photo of this one but this photo really shows the tile-like quality of the head scutes...

DSC06702-1.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow beautiful picture. I love seing the pattern on their heads the same just the torts bigger. They are gorgeous little torts :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I notice when Solo first came to me his head was more solid, and now it's getting that mosaic quality, with really beautiful patterns. I have to try and get a head shot. I'm not too good at taking pictures, although Terry K. has been trying to teach me forever.
Pio was more black, similar to the one that Terry K. gave to Kristina. He had a small red heart on his head.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The movie star is PHENOMENAL! The pics came out crisp and clear. You always produce fantastic torts!

Allegra

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
These little guys are so pretty, I may have to get a couple .. eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.